LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Road Racing

Road Racing

Old 09-30-2013   #16
Hyflyer

Re: Just wow!

Hi Mark Good to hear from ya!

I just watched the video again and a thought that came to my mind (I know, right!) .....

wow, racing that is exciting to watch because of the amazing skill of the riders contrasted with racing that is only exciting when they crash (nascar)
Old 09-30-2013   #17
markgroce
Original Member

Hope everything is going good with you Scott! Been a while. I'll PM ya and to catch up.

Mark G.
Buell 1125R
BMW R1200RT
BMWMOA
markgroce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #18
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Hmmm. I've been hankerin' for some good pulled pork BarBQ. Anyone want to make a lunch run to see if Mark still has "the touch"???
Old 10-01-2013   #19
markgroce
Original Member

Well, I do, but I don't. I closed the Lebanon store a few months ago. Sales were down compared to the previous year (by a lot), and the business next door made me a great offer as they needed a certified kitchen. I was then made a nice offer on the Mason store and sold it.

Why?

Well, my wife consults for the TVA and they pay for her travel no matter where we live, and our son is going to UC (lives with his GF), so nothing holding us here...

So my wife asked me if I wanted to stay, or move somewhere else. I told her the TN mountains would be great, and I hear the ones close to this state road..129, are really beautiful! Well, she asked what else was I going to say!

But, GA tax rates are lower, so North Georgia it is. Just North of Blairsville GA (129 runs through the town). Population 652. Building a house next year.

It also helped that we are 3 hours closer to her parents too...

So, in short, no BBQ for ya Bill...sorry.

Mark G.
Buell 1125R
BMW R1200RT
BMWMOA

Last edited by markgroce; 10-01-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2013   #20
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Mark: Mea culpa...must have missed the post about closing your store. Sorry to hear you're out of the barbq business; I know the economic downturn hit a lot of small business owners too hard. Sounds like you're getting something pretty nice in return, tho. Congrats on being in a great part of the country for riding--I hope you get to do more of that now that you're not tethered to a retail business 12+ hours a day.

Next time the LR crew heads south, you should try to pick up with us somewhere along the route. And hold the week of Labor Day 2014 for our annual BRP blast! Now, just where am I gonna get good pulled pork in Cincinnati....?
Old 10-01-2013   #21
markgroce
Original Member

This all came down pretty fast. I don't regret any of it. It was a great 4 year run, but cost were going up, and sales were flat for the last year. As my meats were for the most part tied to commodity markets, I was seeing major increases, but little in return to normal compared to other years. Not a big deal. Lasted much longer than most. I may get back into it sometime, but plan to take a year off of doing anything after the move. Consider my options along the way.

The funny part is I just wrote a book on BBQ as a business...that's life I suppose

Mark G.
Buell 1125R
BMW R1200RT
BMWMOA