LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Road Racing

Road Racing

Old 10-09-2013   #1
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

1957 Honda needs a ride back from Barber

My childhood friend, Bill Melvin, asked me to bring back his just purchased 1957 Honda ME 250 from Barber.
Trouble is-- I'm not going to be able to do Barber (doing Daytona instead).
Is anybody going to Barber for the Vintage Festival this coming weekend? Anybody have the means to SAFELY transport it back up here? It is a rare bike!
Bill will be glad to pitch in on travel costs.

On that same note-- anybody going to the Daytona AHRMA Vintage races the following weekend? It sure would be nice to see a familiar face!
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #2
kioskguy

Re: 1957 Honda needs a ride back from Barber

I might be able to. I hadn't planned on taking my big trailer but if I did I'd have room.
kioskguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #3
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOZERD View Post
My childhood friend, Bill Melvin, asked me to bring back his just purchased 1957 Honda ME 250 from Barber.
Trouble is-- I'm not going to be able to do Barber (doing Daytona instead).
Is anybody going to Barber for the Vintage Festival this coming weekend? Anybody have the means to SAFELY transport it back up here? It is a rare bike!
Bill will be glad to pitch in on travel costs.

On that same note-- anybody going to the Daytona AHRMA Vintage races the following weekend? It sure would be nice to see a familiar face!

Rob Hancock mentioned he was going to Daytona!
Old 10-09-2013   #4
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioskguy View Post
I might be able to. I hadn't planned on taking my big trailer but if I did I'd have room.
Times short so, let me know. I'll PM you with Bills phone #.
AHRMA #628 (retired)
Old 10-10-2013   #5
A4est
A4est

I'll be at Barber the weekend of the 25th.
But don't think I can fit it between 2 race bikes on my 5x8 trailer.
WERA #4
A4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #6
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Thanks Kioskguy-- looks like problem solved-- hope all goes well.
And thanks Mr. Bannister-- I got in touch with Rob-- invited him over to the ARHMA pits for a beer. Now, lets see, do I still have those bottles of Bud Lite from 2009?
Actually, after packing 4 days of prep into the last 12 hours-- I need a beer.
I'll tell you this, if you ever--EVER think about greasing the steering on your truck-- just raise it up, stick your head under the front wheel and let the jack down. $11.00 for a mini grease gun. $9.00 for a hose to "get at the hard places" $11.00 for a 3 pack of grease. $5.00 for a grease fitting assortment, install new grese fitting only to find the grease still won't go in. Get suspicious of those little things that look like valve spring keepers taped to instructions. Read instructions. re-read instructions. Unless it's in Spanish, French, Russian, German, Chinese or Japanese-- there is no explanation for them. Think about buying the Rosetta Stone language program. Take tip off grease gun nozzle-- be surprised that all four of those little metal things fit neatly into the tip. Re-install tip. Re-grease van steering joints except two inner tie rods. Lower control arms too close to fit grease nozzle. re-remove zerks for two inner tie rods, install 90' zerks, find nozzle to thick to fit over zerk because not enough room between zerk and tie rod, back zerk out-- try again, wipe up gobber of grease that came out through the threads of the zerk. Remove 90' and install 45'. Realize you don't have enough clearance between lower arm and zerk to get grease gun nozzle in. Start throwing shit out into the street. Go out and get it. climb under the van again and bang head. Try to see with blood in eyes. Climb out, gouge a chunk from your elbow-- right on the funny bone. Say the "F" word very loudly. Get "shushed" by neighbor, tell neighbor to go F themselves and threaten to kill them and their family. Explain to cops you were simply receipting lines from a play about the Mafia you are in.
Get back under van-- notice holes in lower arm to stick grease gun through if wheels are turned to max angle. Try to find old straight zerks-- in trash barrel. Give up. Take up smoking again. Go buy two straight zerks that only come in a pack of ten-- $5.99. Realize you've smeared grease all over your cars seat. Throw package out into street and threaten to kill everybody. Explain to cops that-- ya, you're still working on your lines. spend an hour trying to thread those little bastids into the hole you can't see and barely can feel. Finally, open the dor, smear grease on the door handle, turn the key-- again with the grease, and turn the wheel full lock (more grease) climb under, grease the fitting, get out, turn the wheel full lock the other way climb under-- gouge your head again and lay it on a gobber of grease, grease the fitting and-- Voila!! 9 hours later you've saved the $14.95 the lube joint was gonna charge!! (PLUS TAX!!)
AHRMA #628 (retired)
Old 10-12-2013   #7
DICE32
DICE'N & SLICE'N

That's hilarious, Bob!
Don't think you & Bubba should be together in the same vacinity at any time....swat & haz-mat teams would have to be on high alert!
My 60 year old gray haired boss tried to grease the liftgate on our company box truck one time back 30 years ago....came out from under with blue grease in his hair & on his glasses....I laughed so hard he almost fired me!

ROB "DICE" GILES
Dandridge, Tn.
DICE32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #8
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Good on ya, Woz!!! It ain't how much ya save (wink, wink)...it's the principle of the thing.

If you had driven to Valvoline and paid to have it done by one of them certified Lubritorium Technicians, we'd all think yer a pussy.
Old 10-20-2013   #9
A4est
A4est

Did you get it back?

I'll be at Barber this weekend and should have an open space.
WERA #4
A4est is offline   Reply With Quote