LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017   #16
Project84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 281
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

I understand everyone has their own motivations for taking part in motorcycling but damn, lots of folks invest a ton of mental energy on things I just look at as ridiculous.

Regarding bikes and brakes my mind goes about as far as - do they work - and then it's off thinking about something far more important.

I recently skimmed 30+ pages on a forum where guys debated endlessly the math equations necessary along with engineering structural rigs for holding a motorcycle to find it's center of gravity.

Ride the fucking thing and feel for yourself whether or not it's high/low.

Shit is crazy!?
__________________
John '01 KTM Duke 2, '10 Tiger 1050
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #17
icantdrive55
Biker Billy
 
icantdrive55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,687
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Easy there, John Boy! This all started as a tongue-in-cheek discussion about silly comments on another forum, and most of what has been discussed here so far has all been in jest. The last bit was just some esoteric BSing about the theory of motorcycle physics at the cutting edge of performance, i.e., WSB and Moto-GP racing. Nothing to do with riding street. If it wasn't rainy and cool/cold, we'd all be out riding instead of posting. And that was my most politically correct way of nicely suggesting you chill out or shove it up your ass. M-kay? Who's problem is it that you wasted your time skimming 30 pages of meaningless forum doodling?
__________________
'12 KTM 990 SMT, '09 Suz DL650, 2015 Yam YZ250FX, '07 Yam TTR125

Last edited by icantdrive55; 03-07-2017 at 07:25 PM.
icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #18
witttom
TTT - FYYFF
 
witttom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 14,916
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
Easy there, John Boy! This all started as a tongue-in-cheek discussion about silly comments on another forum, and most of what has been discussed here so far has all been in jest. The last bit was just some esoteric BSing about the theory of motorcycle physics at the cutting edge of performance, i.e., WSB and Moto-GP racing. Nothing to do with riding street. If it wasn't rainy and cool/cold, we'd all be out riding instead of posting. And that was my most politically correct way of nicely suggesting you chill out or shove it up your ass. M-kay?
You forgot to tell him to get off your lawn.
__________________

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #19
icantdrive55
Biker Billy
 
icantdrive55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,687
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Was just trying to mimic your edgy witty humor...but fell sadly short of the mark.
__________________
'12 KTM 990 SMT, '09 Suz DL650, 2015 Yam YZ250FX, '07 Yam TTR125
icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #20
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am
 
AnswerMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,184
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witttom View Post
You forgot to tell him to get off your lawn.
__________________
13 V Star 1300 Dlx Cincy
01 V Star 1100 Florida
02 Polaris 500 HO Sportsman
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #21
Kowalski
Registered User
 
Kowalski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 100
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Ride the fucking thing and feel for yourself whether or not it's high/low.
Actually it's not only the high or low, but the left and right and fore and aft that matter too. The actual mass centroid can be found easily using techniques available to those in possession of bathroom scales, a couple straight edges, some string, and a butt plug. So you should be able to do it.
__________________
'03 CBR1100XX | '01 CBR600F4i | '91 750 Kan O' Tuna | '80 Yamaha Chappy
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #22
Project84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 281
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
Easy there, John Boy! This all started as a tongue-in-cheek discussion about silly comments on another forum, and most of what has been discussed here so far has all been in jest.
I know that's why I participated when the thread started with a supermoto picture and some jest of my own.

I'm not upset in the least, just as bored with the weather as you guys and everyone else so I figured I'd jot out some random thoughts regarding how much acute focus some people put into attempting to understand physics or engineering when at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that motorcycling is enjoyable no matter what pile of shit anyone is riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
Actually it's not only the high or low, but the left and right and fore and aft that matter too. The actual mass centroid can be found easily using techniques available to those in possession of bathroom scales, a couple straight edges, some string, and a butt plug. So you should be able to do it.
I'm assuming you're volunteering to help with the insertion process of said plug? Otherwise why mention it? Projecting much?
__________________
John '01 KTM Duke 2, '10 Tiger 1050
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #23
thom_boles
Registered User
 
thom_boles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,412
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
Actually it's not only the high or low, but the left and right and fore and aft that matter too. The actual mass centroid can be found easily using techniques available to those in possession of bathroom scales, a couple straight edges, some string, and a butt plug. So you should be able to do it.


BUT, does he know what end the butt plug must be located?
__________________
Thom
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE ABS
thom_boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #24
witttom
TTT - FYYFF
 
witttom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 14,916
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
acute focus
__________________

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #25
icantdrive55
Biker Billy
 
icantdrive55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,687
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witttom View Post
"...acute focus..."
See above in reference to edgy, witty humor.
__________________
'12 KTM 990 SMT, '09 Suz DL650, 2015 Yam YZ250FX, '07 Yam TTR125
icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #26
icantdrive55
Biker Billy
 
icantdrive55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,687
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
...I participated when the thread started with a supermoto picture...
In reference to said pic and previous discussion about "unbalanced" braking forces, shouldn't it be nigh onto impossible for him to be executing a one-handed stoppie...without having the bars RIPPED from his hand?
__________________
'12 KTM 990 SMT, '09 Suz DL650, 2015 Yam YZ250FX, '07 Yam TTR125
icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017   #27
icantdrive55
Biker Billy
 
icantdrive55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,687
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

12791099_715726058569817_8303380628119846192_n
__________________
'12 KTM 990 SMT, '09 Suz DL650, 2015 Yam YZ250FX, '07 Yam TTR125
icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #28
bigjoepainting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Again, theres a reason you dont see that setup on other bikes. Who really cares why. Apparently the hundreds of engineers at other companies feel its a bad design
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017   #29
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member
 
Dave Bannister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 7,558
Re: Things that make you go Hmmm. (brakes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoepainting View Post
Again, theres a reason you dont see that setup on other bikes. Who really cares why. Apparently the hundreds of engineers at other companies feel its a bad design
Ive put about 15K on one of those EBR's brake system and I can tell you for certain it has never not stopped the bike! The only time I'd had not so great performance was when I had a fork seal fail ( of-cousrse had to be on the right fork) or I would of said he designed like this it because he knew only left forks fails because that the side the sprocket is on ) so it puked enough fluid on the caliper brake pads it would have at second delay before the pads would bite and it was very noticeably!

I can't say its a better design than having a 2 rotor set-up but it looks cool
__________________
79 SR 500,Custom HD ,Stella, Suz DL650, GSXR 600, HD 1125R ,MTS 1000, VMAX
Dave
Dave Bannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001-2013 LocalRiders.com