LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Track days

Track days Share what-u-know about upcoming track days etc (no spam)

Old 03-27-2009   #16
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

Re: Track day info for Bluegrass!!

Damn right I am bummed. Evidently due to the wet weather they will not be able to get the top layer on in time. I guess the top layer is an elastomer or something that will help protect the surface from the damage of freezing and thawing every winter. I guess it is good as far as longevity of the track goes, but I a jonesing for some track time.
Old 03-27-2009   #17
vera

crap, they better get their shit together. I am signed up and paid for it, too.
Old 03-27-2009   #18
kingofkentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
crap, they better get their shit together. I am signed up and paid for it, too.

It's not their fault. They just want the track to be right. If they rush it then the track will probably go to s@#t real quick. I'm sure you could get your money back or re-schedule....Keep in mind that this is going to be a top-notch track and rushing the pavement curing process isn't going to do anyone any good....

my 2 cents...
kingofkentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #19
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Im bummed the 1st weekend of bluegrass is cancelled but doing it right the first time is best I agree...

Its all about timing for me I was hoping to get try out the penske shock and forks on the D675 in a couple weeks and get ready for the fasttrax endurance at the end of the month along with getting to know bluegrass for the june race.
There is only 1 other date before June I could reschedule for but we are racing at nelsons that weekend so Iooks like I wait til june 10th fasttrax track event for bluegrass.. Nevertheless it's still a track only 43 miles from my house and nothing can really be all that bad once it's done and hopefully stays affordable.
Old 03-27-2009   #20
serpentracer

well with stt monopolizing the track...I doubt it will stay at a reasonable rate they already raised the price from what I've been reading. plus after all, this track doesn't have restrooms etc yet. that kind of money for a track that you have to use a port-0- let? wow, what a rip.
Old 03-27-2009   #21
Hyflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bannister View Post
.........along with getting to know bluegrass for the june race.........
Maybe have to bring the 'strom down on the 10th eh??
Old 03-27-2009   #22
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
well with stt monopolizing the track...I doubt it will stay at a reasonable rate they already raised the price from what I've been reading. plus after all, this track doesn't have restrooms etc yet. that kind of money for a track that you have to use a port-0- let? wow, what a rip.
I am curious as to what you consider a reasonable rate...

Do you truly think this track isn't going to have restrooms? Do your research, this is going to be one of the premium tracks in North America.

Do you think Barber and Miller just became the spectacular venues overnight? No they probably had some growing pains also.

As far as STT monopolizing the track, come on man get a grip. FT is running there, WERA is running there, just because STT has the majority of events does not constitute a monopoly.

I was shocked to see the events at BG starting at $165 and even said to myself that won't last. At $185 it is a steal, hell I know I would pay more. How about the WOW's, $150 for 8 hours of open track time! Tell me that is not a down right bargain.

If STT and BG becomes too premium of an event for your wallet you always have Putnam as an option.

For the same or similar money, I will save some drive time and experience a whole lot better facility for my money STT or not.

I am going to shutup now as I feel like I am starting to grow reptile scales...........

See ya at BG in May!
Old 03-27-2009   #23
fzrkentucky
14 karat crazy

Quote:
well with stt monopolizing the track...I doubt it will stay at a reasonable rate they already raised the price from what I've been reading.
I have been hearing the same. Maybe Liz can clear it up.
fzrkentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #24
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzrkentucky View Post
I have been hearing the same. Maybe Liz can clear it up.
I doubt if you will hear from him. Price went from $165 to $185 last I heard.
Old 03-27-2009   #25
ped

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
I am curious as to what you consider a reasonable rate...

Do you truly think this track isn't going to have restrooms? Do your research, this is going to be one of the premium tracks in North America.

Do you think Barber and Miller just became the spectacular venues overnight? No they probably had some growing pains also.

As far as STT monopolizing the track, come on man get a grip. FT is running there, WERA is running there, just because STT has the majority of events does not constitute a monopoly.

I was shocked to see the events at BG starting at $165 and even said to myself that won't last. At $185 it is a steal, hell I know I would pay more. How about the WOW's, $150 for 8 hours of open track time! Tell me that is not a down right bargain.

If STT and BG becomes too premium of an event for your wallet you always have Putnam as an option.

For the same or similar money, I will save some drive time and experience a whole lot better facility for my money STT or not.

I am going to shutup now as I feel like I am starting to grow reptile scales...........

See ya at BG in May!
1. he said no bathrooms YET, $185 is the price for the track that has no facilities at this point.
2. fasttrax and wera are racing orgs, totally different than STT. thats like saying wera, css and ama run at mid-ohio so STT arent the only ones running trackdays there.
3. as member of bluegrass it costs $50 to run on wednesdays.
4. I was shocked to see a track that is nowhere near the goal of being "one of the premium tracks in North America" being $10 less than mid-ohio.
5. STT only has exclusive track rights on weekends, weekdays are now allowed with other orgs.
6. seriously doubt the track costs anywhere near $14,000 a day.

dont know why you're defending a track org so much. the orginal price was $160 and i thought that was reasonable at this point. then the days started selling out and the track price was bumped progressively up. stt as stated that they have a "serious stake" in the track which would seem to me to have some ability to negotiate price, so i dont buy the track raised its rates all of the sudden. supply and demand is fine, but suppressing competition isn't. especially for the riders. but at least we have weekdays!

Last edited by ped; 03-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.
ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #26
serpentracer

why negotiate lower prices when they stand to make some serious $$ selling ass hats over priced trackdays...
(ass hats being guys thinking $185 for a trackday is honestly reasonable)

think about the math for a moment.

how many people for that day @ $185? 3 groups of 20 perhaps? that's $11,100. what track cost that much to rent out? world class valencia maybe...

bluegrass probably cost at the most $6-8k.

for STT is seems to be all about the $$ for them.

Last edited by serpentracer; 03-27-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2009   #27
baddean
Original Member

I'd like to clear up some things about the Bluegrass April 11-12 cancellation.
First off, the track ownership canceled the event, not STT. Yes, STT notified their membership of the cancellation and you can go to their web site for information about how to handle your having paid for the event. They have been very forthright and generous about your options.
Yes, the price is going from $165 per day to $185 per day. That is still a good deal. You can reschedule a track day with STT at the same rate you paid for the original April date. Check their web site or call them for details.
Polymerized asphalt needs to cure in 50 degree to rising temps. It has less to do with rain and more to do with the temperatures. Temps for the foreseeable future are staying below 50 degrees.
I'm sure that the other events that were scheduled during April are canceled as well.
The tire barriers or not assembled yet either. The FIM required the track to use new blem tires and not used tires and several tire manufacturers have provided tires for this purpose. Apparently about 5000 tires need to be assembled (fastened together) to use as barriers. I understand that his process in taking place now.
Anyone here that remembers Barbers first year will remember that he repaved the track three times before it was right. I don't think Bluegrass wants to repeat that mistake.
So, we don't make April. See you in May or June.
Dean
Seems that I didn't add this reply soon enough to make it in before the b****ing commenced.
There are options for those who think that a track day organization is greedy, a rip, too much to pay for no facilities, wha, wha, wha, etc.
Don't attend, start your own organization, clam up and come out and have fun, go race up and down Rt 10 (watch out for cops and guard rails, they may cost you a lot more than the price of a track day)
OK, I'll stop now too.

Last edited by baddean; 03-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.
baddean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #28
kingofkentucky

As long as it doesn't go over $200, then I'm cool with the price. Hell I'll piss in a corner somewhere. It still beats hauling bikes three hours away compared to 20-30 minutes. Plus it looks like gas prices are inching their way back up past $2 again.
kingofkentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #29
serpentracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkentucky View Post
As long as it doesn't go over $200, then I'm cool with the price. Hell I'll piss in a corner somewhere. It still beats hauling bikes three hours away compared to 20-30 minutes. Plus it looks like gas prices are inching their way back up past $2 again.
that's a good point. but, it's only cool for us locals. others looking to come here are getting hit with having to pay more.

I will still run there, I just don't think $185 is a fair price for this place...yet.
and it won't be yet for another few years probably.
Old 03-27-2009   #30
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

Quote:
why negotiate lower prices when they stand to make some serious $$ selling ass hats over priced trackdays...
(ass hats being guys thinking $185 for a trackday is honestly reasonable)

think about the math for a moment.

how many people for that day @ $185? 3 groups of 20 perhaps? that's $11,100. what track cost that much to rent out? world class valencia maybe...

bluegrass probably cost at the most $6-8k.

for STT is seems to be all about the $$ for them.
I guess I will be there with all the other ass hats. Did you happen to notice how quickly the April 11-12th weekend sold out? My gut tells me that they will not have a problem selling out most if not all events even at a little higher price tag.

If it is that reasonable to rent a track for a trackday then go rent it yourself and invite 60 of your closest friends to come out for nothing more than your cost. After that maybe they will throw you some more money to cover the insurance and any other costs you may have incurred so there may be a remote chance you can do it again. In case you forgot STT is a business, businesses are around to make money.

Believe it or not I am not really defending STT as I really could care less who the organization is, I have no allegiance to STT.

Still $185 is not bad for a trackday at any track much less one that has the potential to be awesome. Maybe I am just looking at it from a different perspective, compared to racing...

Trackday at Bluegrass with 2 bikes
Fuel 10 gallons @ $2/gal to get to and from track = $20
Tires = $500-$600
no hotel cost
$185 per day fees x 2 days = $370

Total for me around $1000 for a trackday at BG your cost may vary.

Race a WERA weekend at Barber with 2 bikes
Fuel 100 gallons @ $2/gal to get to and from track = $200
Tires = $500-$750 (seem to use more tires on a race weekend than trackday)
hotel cost = $100-$200
entry fees for 5 races per weekend = $385

Total for me around $1500 for a race weekend at a comparable facility your cost may vary.

Either way we know it is an expensive sport and some of us accept it and enjoy oursleves. Others will always find something to bitch about.

Ass hats unite!