LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Track days

Track days Share what-u-know about upcoming track days etc (no spam)

Old 03-27-2009   #31
DBR0051

Re: Track day info for Bluegrass!!

The bottom line it's a business. Supply and demand. If it sold out that fast they have the demand at that price. The goal of a business is to charge as much as the demand allows, that's the tricky part, would they have sold out all the available spots before 8am the day of the event if they raised the price to X dollars?
Just a side note. When I was racing ARCA ('99-'01) Kentucky Speedway was charging 5k for a one day rental the best I can remember. For that you got a multi-million dollar, all be it boring, track and 2 ambulances and several track workers. I'm sure Bluegrass is charging close to what ever the speedway does these days.
Seems to me a couple hundred bucks to ride around really cool track for a total of a few hours is a bargain anywhere. I know I will be there as many times as I can, along with Putnam or anywhere else I can find time to get to.

Dave
Old 03-28-2009   #32
A4est
A4est

I believe it is still reasonable.
But they need to be careful.
It is selling out quickly now because everyone wants to check it out. Once the novelty wears off in a year or two, if it is too expensive, only the few will show and the rest will drive to Putnam or others. I know many people who will spend $200 in gas to save $50 in track fees. They do it on principal. They don't like being gouged. Even though financially it doesn't make sense.
WERA #4
A4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #33
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4est View Post
I believe it is still reasonable.
But they need to be careful.
It is selling out quickly now because everyone wants to check it out. Once the novelty wears off in a year or two, if it is too expensive, only the few will show and the rest will drive to Putnam or others. I know many people who will spend $200 in gas to save $50 in track fees. They do it on principal. They don't like being gouged. Even though financially it doesn't make sense.
Or it may go the other way Andy, in 2 or 3 years we may be begging to pay $200 a day to ride on it because it is so badass. Who knows which way it will go, I am just having a good time playing devil's advocate.

The idea of spending $200 in gas to save $50 in track fees is just stupid, principle or not. Those are the of people who will end up being dead right....
Old 03-28-2009   #34
Fast Eddie
Let's Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddean View Post
I'd like to clear up some things about the Bluegrass April 11-12 cancellation.
First off, the track ownership canceled the event, not STT. Yes, STT notified their membership of the cancellation and you can go to their web site for information about how to handle your having paid for the event. They have been very forthright and generous about your options.
Yes, the price is going from $165 per day to $185 per day. That is still a good deal. You can reschedule a track day with STT at the same rate you paid for the original April date. Check their web site or call them for details.
Polymerized asphalt needs to cure in 50 degree to rising temps. It has less to do with rain and more to do with the temperatures. Temps for the foreseeable future are staying below 50 degrees.
I'm sure that the other events that were scheduled during April are canceled as well.
The tire barriers or not assembled yet either. The FIM required the track to use new blem tires and not used tires and several tire manufacturers have provided tires for this purpose. Apparently about 5000 tires need to be assembled (fastened together) to use as barriers. I understand that his process in taking place now.
Anyone here that remembers Barbers first year will remember that he repaved the track three times before it was right. I don't think Bluegrass wants to repeat that mistake.
So, we don't make April. See you in May or June.
Dean
Seems that I didn't add this reply soon enough to make it in before the b****ing commenced.
There are options for those who think that a track day organization is greedy, a rip, too much to pay for no facilities, wha, wha, wha, etc.
Don't attend, start your own organization, clam up and come out and have fun, go race up and down Rt 10 (watch out for cops and guard rails, they may cost you a lot more than the price of a track day)
OK, I'll stop now too.

Dean, Dean, Dean. Remember the last time you posted the site went down for a week . I don't think a lot of people remember the problems Barber had the first few years with pavement, homeowners proteting the noise, and camping. I'm sure getting the track ready is first priority, then the niceties will come, toilets, food, etc. Do you think for a minute those BMW and Porsche clubs will go without Starbucks and toilets?
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #35
serpentracer

you darn right they need to be careful. I will put money on the fact once everyone gets to this track they will be disappointed with the facilities thus far.

because there isn't any.

is there even grass? or do you just plow into rocks and mud when you run off the track? and when you are off the track after it rained, can anyone even get out of the mud? can a rescue worker get to you?

it doesn't even appear they have plans to build the garages or restrooms etc for another year according to their site. there is no hotels. no restaurants. one hole of a gas station that probably sells 2 year old gas.
for $185, it's only a good deal for the locals as I said. everyone else will be pissed, mark my words.

and charging that amount for a trackday still isn't a reasonable price. it doesn't cost that much to rent out a track to charge 60-70 people $185.

STT has found a niche in making money for one goal, themselves. which making a few $ isn't necessarily a bad thing. but it's one thing to do it for the love of the sport and offer people some track time at a reasonable rate.
but to bad mouth every other org around, bad mouth other vendors (read the STT forums to see)
it just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. and I'd rather not spend my money with them. and now they monopolized the bluegrass track, I don't have much of a choice if I'd like to ride there.

Last edited by serpentracer; 03-28-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2009   #36
baddean
Original Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Dean, Dean, Dean. Remember the last time you posted the site went down for a week . I don't think a lot of people remember the problems Barber had the first few years with pavement, homeowners proteting the noise, and camping. I'm sure getting the track ready is first priority, then the niceties will come, toilets, food, etc. Do you think for a minute those BMW and Porsche clubs will go without Starbucks and toilets?
I thought of that. I just held my breath when I hit the send button hoping that nothing exploded or went dark.
The way this thread is going I think I'll step away from it now before I cause another site meltdown.
Dean
baddean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #37
ped

cancelling the day was perfectly reasonable and professional. in fact in december there was talk by STT that it might not be ready. one should've expected that IMO when you signed up for a day at an uncompleted track. especially when the completion on so many levels depends on things out of anyones control. the other thing is that its mid april in kentucky and you were taking a good gamble of it being rained out anyway.
as far as the price goes $185 is a pretty decent deal if the track was where it wants to be. but even now with a concrete pad and a track only its not THAT bad. the point of the rambling on my part (and on other boards) is that it was driven by supply and demand COUPLED with stepping on the competition. if NESBA or someone did what STT is doing those guys would be fuming. id would much rather see this track operate with a fair shot for any org like most other tracks. but they apparently had money dangled in front of them and didnt want to pass it up in return for exclusive rights to prime time track days. who knows what the price will be when it is complete if its already at this rate.
they could've charged alot more like andy said and it would have sold out because people want to ride the great new track. i wonder if they would have sold out if another org had track days there in april for less?
alot of people really like how STT is run especially with all the instruction, then again alot of people really dont care to pay a premium for it either. but theres no choice now.

Last edited by ped; 03-28-2009 at 07:20 PM.
ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #38
Ashlandracer

I think it sucks that bluegrass cacelled, but I am fine if it is for the good of the pavement.

As far as STT goes, we do a lot of Mid-Ohio days with them. I really like them and the instructors. I want to do the fasttrax day there at bluegrass.

Anyone have any issues with racing and track days with Fasttrax? Might start with them. They seem like a good group to get my feet wet racing.
-Bazaaz
-Fender eliminator
Ashlandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #39
rklutts

I thinks its awesome that the day was canceled! Because I couldn't get a ticket!... LOL

As for the STT debate... its a free country and anyone can do what they want to make a $$... am I right? And are they not in the business of trackdays?

And there are a few other groups with scheduled trackdays there... SVRace has a few days scheduled too and they also have it priced at $165 if u buy 30days out...

http://www.svracer.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22

Lets just have fun and lean.... and be glad as a local that we now have something in our own backyard...
Old 04-02-2009   #40
fzrkentucky
14 karat crazy

capitolisim
fzrkentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #41
pguest

I wish the track website would list a calendar of events. Otherwise one has no clue what is going on there for a given week or weekend. I would think the racing organizations would like to see something up on the website to perhaps lure in a few more admission paying spectators. I can only assume they aren't posting anything because it's a semi-private track.
pguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #42
joeybeppy
slojo

Can anyone tell me if the WOW/STT event next Wed 5/13 is still @ Bluegrass?
Old 05-05-2009   #43
vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeppy View Post
Can anyone tell me if the WOW/STT event next Wed 5/13 is still @ Bluegrass?
1 888 390 4020
it takes a few tries before you get hold of someone

they told me yesterday that they notify of cancellation via e-mail only, but couldn't tell me how many days in advance they let participants know.
Old 05-05-2009   #44
Kzxpilot

STT posted on there web site yesterday that the event was canceled. No news, or we're sorry, but just "event canceled". The track just simply is not ready, and of course there trying to squeeze every dollar possible out of it, even though it's not ridable. Even when we do get on it, it's still not going to be as good as what where riding on now.

76 KZ900
99 VFR800
99 VTR1000
04 749S
10 K1300S
13 FXDC
17 FLTRX
Kzxpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #45
RENCRN8
WERA Expert #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzxpilot View Post
Even when we do get on it, it's still not going to be as good as what where riding on now.
What exactly are you riding on now? Have you been to the track yourself yet? Even without the top coats it is light years ahead of Nelson's.

It will be finished eventually, and we will ride on it and will be able to form opinions then.

Once again the media has gotten everyone in an uproar.

If anyone thinks they could do a better job at building a better track, please do I would race there to help support you too.

Just a little FYI they must not be completely out of money as they are still doing business with many vendors. Not that I am one of them