LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Motorcycle Support > Ask the Mechanics

Ask the Mechanics OK all you GearHeads, please help answer the questions...

Old 03-16-2016   #16
paleobiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyflyer View Post
I've had zero problems with the Sasquatch rebuild shock. If you find one out there, I would recommend it.

My personal opinion is --> suspension is the place to spend some money. A nice rear shock is the most expensive but you can spring the forks for your weight and add some gold valves or intiminators along with a fork brace for probably under $300.00. It is so much more enjoyable to pilot a bike with nice suspension that is properly set up. Tracking on line through the bumps equals safety for you and added problem solving abilities (If you need me to talk to your wife/gf/kids/mother/etc I can talk them into buying your new shock for you because they do want you to be as safe as possible don't they?)

Another easy performance upgrade for the strom is to swap in some HH brake pads. It makes a worthwhile difference in stopping power.

A weestrom is a very capable do everything machine (as I'm sure you have found as well). I hope I can get out on my momo-sickles more this year!

Scott
Thank you Scott! I agree about the suspension upgrades. I am installing the racetech 0.95 springs this weekend (if things go well) without the emulators or the new cogent DDC drop in cartridges.

I would like to evaluate the stiffer springs for a while , and then later on install the DDC if needed.

My stock rear is pretty harsh...The bike has 47K miles on the stock rear, so I'm sure it's not bad to think about replacing it....

Question is, can I use these BMW shocks?

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=76893

Regards,
Vishnu
paleobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016   #17
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Re: Sasquatch shock rebuild for Wee--Info, pls?

Yes no doubt your shock is clapped out as many have said stock shocks on lower end bikes aren't high in quality and the dampening just quits working well and you end up with riding a pogo stick.. If you can improve on the cheap then great but I'm also one who thinks if this is a bike you are going to keep and ride for a while then buy a good shock ( ohlins, elka etc) and be done with it you'll be so happy you did. Throw straight rate springs in the forks and change the oil for $100 and you have a totally different bike!

I put an ohlins on my wee like 60K+ ago ( before it had 12-15K on it) and it probably needs to be serviced ( on my list) but it still performs perfect and is a pleasure to ride the twisties and beat up goat path roads!
Old 03-16-2016   #18
paleobiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bannister View Post
Yes no doubt your shock is clapped out as many have said stock shocks on lower end bikes aren't high in quality and the dampening just quits working well and you end up with riding a pogo stick.. If you can improve on the cheap then great but I'm also one who thinks if this is a bike you are going to keep and ride for a while then buy a good shock ( ohlins, elka etc) and be done with it you'll be so happy you did. Throw straight rate springs in the forks and change the oil for $100 and you have a totally different bike!

I put an ohlins on my wee like 60K+ ago ( before it had 12-15K on it) and it probably needs to be serviced ( on my list) but it still performs perfect and is a pleasure to ride the twisties and beat up goat path roads!
Thank you Dave, good advice indeed. I really like the wee for its malleable nature - I'd love to fit this to me.

I've ordered the fork springs and am currently furiously reading through all the stromtrooper threads on fork removal & spring swapping. Both new oil and the springs should be here by the weekend, so I'll get my hands dirty

Regarding the rear shocks, I've heard great things from racetech & cogent, since they also have the forks to match with. It's definitely on my list. I think the BMW swap is perhaps a little too ambitious... Fun to think about it though.

Do you have Ohlins shocks on yours?
Old 03-16-2016   #19
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

I swapped out the worn OEM rear shock on my '09 Wee for a lightly used DL1K shock I purchased on the StromTrooper forum for $100. Slightly longer shock body (+5/8") to raise the rear a bit and a heavier spring (for my fat ass). Much better ride than OEM, at least for solo riding. Direct bolt-in with zero hassle. If I keep the Wee long enough to shag the rear a second time, I'll think about throwing some money at a high dollar replacement.
Old 03-16-2016   #20
paleobiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
I swapped out the worn OEM rear shock on my '09 Wee for a lightly used DL1K shock I purchased on the StromTrooper forum for $100. Slightly longer shock body (+5/8") to raise the rear a bit and a heavier spring (for my fat ass). Much better ride than OEM, at least for solo riding. Direct bolt-in with zero hassle. If I keep the Wee long enough to shag the rear a second time, I'll think about throwing some money at a high dollar replacement.
Is this Bill from the FB group, who directed me to Bryn about that top box? Bryn mentioned your profile on this forum, and he's the one who suggested I join the localriders group !

Ok, so I've a question - how'd you know if the shock on the wee is worn? Is there a way to test it (subjectively? Objectively? )

Thanks again for the DL1000 shock tip.

Regards,
Vishnu
Old 03-16-2016   #21
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Vishnu: Yup, that's me. As for how to test whether your shock is done for, it's probably pretty subjective. It certainly is gonna be dependent on rider weight, style of riding, with/without loading (passenger or bags), and to a lesser extent, the kind of roads you'll be traveling. I think DB's description of a pogo-stick ride is the best description of a tired/worn shock. It really isn't the spring that gets weak as much as the inner piston, seals and valving, along with the hydraulic fluid.

If you're a relatively non-aggressive rider who sticks primarily to the main roads and Xways--smooth with gentle grade transitions--then a worn shock isn't going to be too much of a negative. If you plan on aggressively riding some of the backroads in KY/TN/WV/NC/GA, especially loaded with luggage, then you'll need better damping to control the rear tire on the road surface. If your rear shock is the original, I'd bet it's pretty tired after 47K miles. Again, it very much depends on your riding style: speed, cornering aggression, roads travelled.
Old 03-16-2016   #22
Hyflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleobiker View Post
........... I am installing the racetech 0.95 springs this weekend (if things go well) without the emulators or the new cogent DDC drop in cartridges.

I would like to evaluate the stiffer springs for a while , and then later on install the DDC if needed.

My stock rear is pretty harsh...The bike has 47K miles on the stock rear, so I'm sure it's not bad to think about replacing it....

Regards,
Vishnu

So, basically, the vstrom forks dampen the spring by metering specific viscosity hydraulic fluid through specific sized holes to control compression and rebound. If you change your spring rate to .95kg/mm (from the stock .700 - .800ish kg/mm progressive [ I think] ) your gonna need to change the viscosity of the fork oil to slow the rebound a bit on that heavier spring. (I think I mixed 15w & 20w oil for the proper feel.) If you were to change the springs and nothing else you would experience a harsh ride.

Quote:
Ok, so I've a question - how'd you know if the shock on the wee is worn? Is there a way to test it (subjectively? Objectively? )
The rear shock deteriorates slowly so it's difficult to feel over the miles and years that it's getting weak (But you really feel the difference when you get a nice fresh shock in there!) Another thing that will make you realize the weakness in the rear shock is to update the forks. That puts a spotlight on shortcomings in the rear shock.

If you just put-put around easy on fairly smooth roads one up on the bike you would never feel the shortcomings of weakening suspension (matter of fact, weakened suspension probably feels cushy and nice under those circumstances). As your riding skill increases and you start pushing the machine closer and harder to the edge of the envelope of traction on more challenging roads the things you begin to notice is the bike is hard(er) to keep on line through corners and can have a "wallowing" feeling about it when there are bumps in the curves. Braking and accelerating you'll feel "shudders and chudders" from weak suspension.

In contrast, with suspension set to your weight and riding style, it's just the opposite feeling to those above. The bike is confidence inspiring and feels "planted" through the corners and easily stays on your desired line (which is cool because now you don't have to use your brain power making all of these little adjustments and you can concentrate on other things).

Of course, the best and fastest way to see the difference is go riding for a day with someone (like me) that has a vstrom that is setup the way your thinking and feel the difference. (my strom needs some wheel bearing and valve stems and my schedule is slammed, but if I ever get myself together, I would be willing to go riding with you and swap machines)

Scott
Old 03-17-2016   #23
paleobiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
Vishnu: Yup, that's me. As for how to test whether your shock is done for, it's probably pretty subjective. It certainly is gonna be dependent on rider weight, style of riding, with/without loading (passenger or bags), and to a lesser extent, the kind of roads you'll be traveling. I think DB's description of a pogo-stick ride is the best description of a tired/worn shock. It really isn't the spring that gets weak as much as the inner piston, seals and valving, along with the hydraulic fluid.

If you're a relatively non-aggressive rider who sticks primarily to the main roads and Xways--smooth with gentle grade transitions--then a worn shock isn't going to be too much of a negative. If you plan on aggressively riding some of the backroads in KY/TN/WV/NC/GA, especially loaded with luggage, then you'll need better damping to control the rear tire on the road surface. If your rear shock is the original, I'd bet it's pretty tired after 47K miles. Again, it very much depends on your riding style: speed, cornering aggression, roads travelled.
Great tips, thank you Bill! I used to ride the twisty roads in KY (22, 10, 719?) on my ST1100, but at that time I hadn't ventured out to exploring suspension adjustments. On the wee though, I feel like I can really learn and absorb all these concepts.
Old 03-17-2016   #24
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Vishnu: I'll second Scott's offer to let you ride mine to compare against yours. I've done the fork upgrade with the 0.95 springs and Gold valves from RaceTech, and have the low mileage DL1K shock on the rear. Prolly not as good as an aftermarket piece, but better than stock.

One other thing that most folks think helps the Wee's handling is to raise the forks 15 mm in the triple clamp (10 mm if ABS-equipped). A fork brace helps, too.

I always get a chuckle when I see the lengths Strom riders will go to make their machines 'handle like a sport bike' but they're so much fun to ride in the twisties that it makes it worth the trouble and expense....at least to some of the loony-tunes I hang with!!!

Last edited by icantdrive55; 03-17-2016 at 07:42 AM.
icantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #25
paleobiker

Quote:
So, basically, the vstrom forks dampen the spring by metering specific viscosity hydraulic fluid through specific sized holes to control compression and rebound. If you change your spring rate to .95kg/mm (from the stock .700 - .800ish kg/mm progressive [ I think] ) your gonna need to change the viscosity of the fork oil to slow the rebound a bit on that heavier spring. (I think I mixed 15w & 20w oil for the proper feel.) If you were to change the springs and nothing else you would experience a harsh ride.

The rear shock deteriorates slowly so it's difficult to feel over the miles and years that it's getting weak (But you really feel the difference when you get a nice fresh shock in there!) Another thing that will make you realize the weakness in the rear shock is to update the forks. That puts a spotlight on shortcomings in the rear shock.

If you just put-put around easy on fairly smooth roads one up on the bike you would never feel the shortcomings of weakening suspension (matter of fact, weakened suspension probably feels cushy and nice under those circumstances). As your riding skill increases and you start pushing the machine closer and harder to the edge of the envelope of traction on more challenging roads the things you begin to notice is the bike is hard(er) to keep on line through corners and can have a "wallowing" feeling about it when there are bumps in the curves. Braking and accelerating you'll feel "shudders and chudders" from weak suspension.

In contrast, with suspension set to your weight and riding style, it's just the opposite feeling to those above. The bike is confidence inspiring and feels "planted" through the corners and easily stays on your desired line (which is cool because now you don't have to use your brain power making all of these little adjustments and you can concentrate on other things).

Of course, the best and fastest way to see the difference is go riding for a day with someone (like me) that has a vstrom that is setup the way your thinking and feel the difference. (my strom needs some wheel bearing and valve stems and my schedule is slammed, but if I ever get myself together, I would be willing to go riding with you and swap machines)

Scott
Thank you Scott, lots of stuff for me to munch and crunch through reading , I hugely appreciate it!

On a side note : I saw this book called "Suspension Bible" on racetech website. I've ordered it to get some deep reading on suspension

I'd love to test ride your and Bill's wee to compare ride quality.
Old 03-17-2016   #26
paleobiker

@icantdrive55 @Hyflyer

Another newbie question - some suspension threads on stromtrooper/vsri simply mention that these fork cartridge emulators are drop in/ simple and easy.

I'm looking at cogent DDC vs racetech emulators.

Are they both simple drop into the fork-beneath the spring-type of easy install? Is there any drilling involved?

The ddc is about $180 while I can find the racetech emulators for $129 shipped.

The link from 3rd party website http://www.powersportparts.net/mobil...sQJxoC3z_w_wcB

Some other threads on the forum call for drilling into the "valves " - are the gold valves for the shocks, and gold emulators for the fork specifically? Am I confusing different products from racetech ?

If I buy the emulator, do I still need to buy the fork emulator adapter separately? They mention this on the racetech website

Screenshot From racetech website :-

Sorry for all the suspension newbie questions

I'm just trying to see which of the two options would be easier for me to install. Thanks again for all the advice!

Regards,
Vishnu
Old 03-17-2016   #27
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleobiker View Post
@icantdrive55 @Hyflyer

Another newbie question - some suspension threads on stromtrooper/vsri simply mention that these fork cartridge emulators are drop in/ simple and easy.

I'm looking at cogent DDC vs racetech emulators.

Are they both simple drop into the fork-beneath the spring-type of easy install? Is there any drilling involved?

The ddc is about $180 while I can find the racetech emulators for $129 shipped.

The link from 3rd party website http://www.powersportparts.net/mobil...sQJxoC3z_w_wcB

Some other threads on the forum call for drilling into the "valves " - are the gold valves for the shocks, and gold emulators for the fork specifically? Am I confusing different products from racetech ?

If I buy the emulator, do I still need to buy the fork emulator adapter separately? They mention this on the racetech website

Screenshot From racetech website :-

Sorry for all the suspension newbie questions

I'm just trying to see which of the two options would be easier for me to install. Thanks again for all the advice!

Regards,
Vishnu

Another version of the valves ( for the forks) are
https://store.ricorshocks.com/ intiminators

yes they drop in I have the ricor in my strom and I know Scott has the racetech and has tweeked them some I just dropped mine in and have been happy with them. I believe the the racetech might have another step than drop in but its not much!

Also Ricor sell shocks for wee I'm not sure of the reviews but worth looking into what they are saying about the shock
Old 03-18-2016   #28
paleobiker

Quote:
I've had zero problems with the Sasquatch rebuild shock. If you find one out there, I would recommend it.

My personal opinion is --> suspension is the place to spend some money. A nice rear shock is the most expensive but you can spring the forks for your weight and add some gold valves or intiminators along with a fork brace for probably under $300.00. It is so much more enjoyable to pilot a bike with nice suspension that is properly set up. Tracking on line through the bumps equals safety for you and added problem solving abilities (If you need me to talk to your wife/gf/kids/mother/etc I can talk them into buying your new shock for you because they do want you to be as safe as possible don't they?)

Another easy performance upgrade for the strom is to swap in some HH brake pads. It makes a worthwhile difference in stopping power.

A weestrom is a very capable do everything machine (as I'm sure you have found as well). I hope I can get out on my momo-sickles more this year!

Scott
I just found a used v strom sasquatch rear shock, build for my weight, 200 lbs, and with less than 10K on it!

Excited to get it on the bike asap!

Regards,
Vishnu