LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > The Market Place > Bikes For Sale

Bikes For Sale You have a motorcycle for sale, post it here. Donations for sold bikes are appreciated.

Old 02-10-2017   #1
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Cool FS/FT: 82 Suzuki GS850G (GZ) Running Project [sold]

I bought this bike with intent to part out like I normally do, but I screwed up and accidentally got it running shortly after I got it home. I spent some time with it, then drug my feet in doing anything else with it since. Earlier this week I managed to end up in the ER with a serious back injury that literally knocked me off my feet. I go back to my neurosurgeon in a couple weeks to review my fracture, but now up and walking around. I am confident I will bounce back fairly quick (hold my beer, watch this), however.... I've TRIED to work on this bike twice in the past two days now, and it just ain't happening. I'm gonna end up back in the hospital if I persist. So with that said, I doubt that I will get to resurrecting it or parting it out anytime soon. That leaves an opportunity for someone else to do something with it before Spring. IMHO it would make an excellent work horse. These 8-valve machines run forever, require very little maintenance, and are shaft-drive smoothies. The early Suzuki GS line (mostly late-70's) is notorious for weak charging systems, but Suzuki made huge improvements in 82, has electronic ignition that never needs touched (oh thank God), and is probably the best year for this model. I can give tips/tricks/tweaks/advice for easy improvements to the charging system if you want, but honestly I don't think it needs it. The Mikuni BS32 carbs are also pretty easy to work on.

I'm just saying.

1982 Suzuki GS850GZ, 8-valve DOHC shaft-drive.

Photos regrettably make it look better than it is (just sprayed off the 3 years or dirt/dust/grime). Paint nowhere near that shiny.

The good:
- It runs when jump-started and fed fresh fuel.
- All electronics/electrics appear to work.
- Tires appear usable. Rear one has slow leak.
- Forks seals appear to be flawless (suspect replaced in recent years).
- Seat is very nice. No rips.
- I have the keys, and all locking mechanisms work.
- Has both side covers (how often does that happen?).

The bad:
- Throttle cable is frozen. I kept it running by finding sweet spot with choke.
- Carbs most certainly need to be cleaned, but don't believe they need rebuilt.
- It needs a battery. Didn't have one when I got it. One in it now is old.
- Fuel tank has rust. Not horrible, can maybe use as-is with external filter.
- Front brake master needs attention (possibly fluids flushed, not investigated).

The ugly:
- It has cosmetic issues.

47k-miles. Was in excellent running condition when parked by the original owner in 2014 due to personal health issues (I have a 2015 registration sticker for it, but it was never used). There it sat, outside but under a cover. Covers only protect them so well, and of course moisture gets in. Because of that, it's a bit crusty. I have a stack of documentation and receipts dating back to 1986 when he bought it off Gentleman Jim's Suzuki in Cincinnati. I believe it was either a new leftover on the showroom floor, or maybe a demo, as the original yellow-card Ohio title that I have was made from the Manufacturer Certificate (MCO/MSO). It is signed by the original owner, but not dated and not notarized. No, you can't ride it home unfortunately. It's not that kind of a project.

$400
I'll ask more if I have to put it on Craigslist or eBay.

Located in Ross Township, a couple miles outside of Millville Ohio. As long as it's not too slick, you can back your truck or trailer up to my basement workshop doors and load it up. I'll even help, if I can.

See it running here:

These are big bikes, more suitable for touring or commuting than canyon carving, although I HAVE seen some turned into respectable cafe racers. Not suitable for shrimps.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote