LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 12-21-2010   #1
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

VoIP Ooma

Iím to the point where Iím close to dumping Cincinnati Bell for a home line. My son and I could do very well with just our cells because Ö. Well we are guys and have no interest in being on the phone for hours at a time. My wife is another story. I would either need a huge cell plan or still have some type of land line. A guy here at work has Ooma and loves it.
http://www.ooma.com/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20010241-58.html
You can get a basic version for about $150 now. Once you buy the box you only pay monthly taxes of about $3.50 a month.

Right now Iím bundled with CBT so I need to orchestrate the following:
  • Make sure it will work with our alarm company
  • Order the VoIP item and set it up.
  • Move all of our fuse.net e_mail addresses over to a gmail or other free service
  • Move my ISP from CBT to time werner or someone else ( any ideas I know you are all users)
  • Port over my phone number I have had for 25 years (wait Ö oh what a great time to loose friends I no longer want)
  • Cancel the internet and land line with CBT.
  • Live in bliss.
So fellow localriders, who has made the switch, what services do you use?
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #2
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Re: VoIP Ooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnswerMeister View Post
Right now Iím bundled with CBT so I need to orchestrate the following:
  • Make sure it will work with our alarm company
  • Order the VoIP item and set it up.
  • Move all of our fuse.net e_mail addresses over to a gmail or other free service
  • Move my ISP from CBT to time werner or someone else ( any ideas I know you are all users)
  • Port over my phone number I have had for 25 years (wait Ö oh what a great time to loose friends I no longer want)
  • Cancel the internet and land line with CBT.
  • Live in bliss.
So fellow localriders, who has made the switch, what services do you use?
I can't really help ya out as I've not done it myself, but I do plan to make some similar moves in about a year or so.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #3
jdanhires
Junior Woodchuck Welder

I think you're out of luck with the alarm - those usually require a POTS line for their functionality.

John
jdanhires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #4
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

The customer service (sales) reps said it will work with vonage so I would think it will work, I have a call in to have a tech call me back just to be safe. If not they have an option that it will work off a sim card and be it's own cell phone but that would be another monthly charge.
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #5
thom_boles

I recently dumped (sort of) Vonage for NetTalk (it's like MagicJack). The service seems to be pretty good (have tested for a few weeks now).

Note sure how and it's not recommended but some (according to this) are utilizing the adapter with a security system. http://www.nettalk.co/faq/index.php?...kbarticleid=61

By the way, the NetTalk adapter took all of 2 minutes to get working. It took me longer to find an open electrical outlet than it did to get the adapter making calls. I have a second adapter that I plan to use (both can plug into the same router) for my second line once I drop my TW phone.

NetTalk has a smart phone app that uses Wifi to make free calls, you might want to check that out too. That's what turned me on to them as a provider.

Last edited by thom_boles; 12-21-2010 at 04:05 PM.
thom_boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #6
jdanhires
Junior Woodchuck Welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom_boles View Post
I recently dumped (sort of) Vonage for NetTalk (it's like MagicJack). The service seems to be pretty good (have tested for a few weeks now).

Note sure how and it's not recommended but some (according to this) are utilizing the adapter with a security system. http://www.nettalk.co/faq/index.php?...kbarticleid=61

By the way, the NetTalk adapter took all of 2 minutes to get working. It took me longer to find an open electrical outlet than it did to get the adapter making calls. I have a second adapter that I plan to use (both can plug into the same router) for my second line once I drop my TW phone.

NetTalk has a smart phone app that uses Wifi to make free calls, you might want to check that out too. That's what turned me on to them as a provider.
Guy at work uses nettalk and is extremely happy with their service. He was unable to port his phone number though....

I really need to drop my ZT (and hell, I work for CBT) and get a better high speed option. My crappy ZT speed isn't cutting it for netflix and hulu streaming.

John
jdanhires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #7
thom_boles

Hey Dave,

If you do go with Vonage, don't get an adapter. I have 2 of them. One is the newest adapter (VDV21-VD) that they have, but it wouldn't work with my phone system so I used the old adapter I had previously (Motorola VT1005V).

If nothing else this might save you from having to purchase an adapter from them having a contact, etc...