LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 08-28-2009   #61
mtynan
Over the hill gang member

Re: LocalRiders Isle of Mann 2011

Is there some way to get some sort of a group discount? I'm also conserned that the bike rental in Dublin will be booked solid anywhere close to the TT date.
VF1000R
CBX
XS 750
XS 650
CB 550
CB 350
CA 160
mtynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009   #62
DBR0051

You guys really need to get in touch with Butch Demerle. He built that naked Honda ST1300 with all the billet parts. He's actually a marshall and has been going for over 13 years. He said it took him several years to learn the best ways to do the trip and what to see and where to stay etc.
I would really like to go with him but with my business I will be retired before I can get away in June.
It's been on TV on HD theater every Monday night. I'm envious if you guys do it!

Dave
Old 08-30-2009   #63
Kanatuna
Keep right except to pass

OK...So whats the update on this?
Buell 1125R WERA #626
WWW.ASSFAULTJUNKIES.COM
www.motolist.com
www.trackstar1.com
Kanatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #64
A4est
A4est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanatuna View Post
OK...So whats the update on this?
You are not allowed to go ...... I get your seat!
WERA #4
A4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #65
casanewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR0051 View Post
You guys really need to get in touch with Butch Demerle. He built that naked Honda ST1300 with all the billet parts. He's actually a marshall and has been going for over 13 years. He said it took him several years to learn the best ways to do the trip and what to see and where to stay etc.
I would really like to go with him but with my business I will be retired before I can get away in June.
It's been on TV on HD theater every Monday night. I'm envious if you guys do it!

Dave
The first step appears to be getting in touch with Butch. Sounds like he's definitely the IOM guru. Bill P. has mentioned this to me as well (I'm pretty sure he is referring to Butch too). I would love to be able to put together a grill out/meeting with Butch and all of those who are SERIOUSLY interested in a group IOM 2011 trip sometime in the near future. I need to meet Butch and buy him a pint of beer first.
Old 08-31-2009   #66
DBR0051

I will copy this and shoot it to him, super nice guy. He visits here some too. It's the same Butch Bill was talking about, how many IOM experts can there be in Cincinnati? So we're lucky to have him. I'd really like to go but it may be awhile, I will just have to go vicarisully (sp) throuh you guys.

Dave
Old 03-01-2010   #67
casanewt

Re: LocalRiders Isle of Man 2011

Dusting off this thread! 2011 will be here before we know it.

Last edited by casanewt; 03-01-2010 at 11:51 PM.
casanewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #68
TrafficThread
Luring Disco Dollies...

We need to hook up with this guy and start planning accommodations, etc.
Old 01-02-2011   #69
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Well, here it is--2011. Haven't heard much said about it. Even if it was just a dream we all shared-- it was a great one.
I really intended to go. But, that was back in February 2009
Then, getting back into road racing was a dream I wasn't sure would materialize-- but it did. Now, here I am, all the funny money is gone, still gimping a little, still having to grab something solid sometimes to keep the room from spinning, but, little by little, I'm piecing the bike back together. Gotta pass on the engine build, gotta pass on the 18" front rim and the wider tires and the Isle of Man will get postponed another year. I keep promising my self that I'll just race this one more season. THEN, I'll do this other stuff.
Hecky, I'm even passing on what might be the love of my life to just race "one more season".
There's times I think I'm a total fool (unlike some of-- well, OK-- ALL of you that think that of me ALL the time) for following this passion. That thought hit's me often when it's 20 minutes before the race and I'm all dry mouthed trying to remember if I forgot something.
But then, I see this:
Many Riders, Racebikes Confirmed For TT2011 Milestones Of The Mountain Parade Lap At The Isle Of Man

Dec 14, 2010, ©Copyright 2010, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

From a press release issued by Isle Of Man TT organizers:

LEGENDARY RIDERS AND ICONIC MACHINES ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR TT2011 MILESTONES OF THE MOUNTAIN PARADE LAP

Many of the riders and machines have already been confirmed for the 2011 TT ‘Milestones of the Mountain’ Parade lap to celebrate the centenary of racing around the iconic Isle of Man TT Mountain Course.

The parade, which takes place on Senior Race day, Friday 10th June, will feature twenty-six of the most important events, riders and moments in a hundred years of racing.

Appropriately a genuine replica of the American built Indian machine that Oliver Godfrey rode in the first Senior TT Race across the mountain has been sourced and will be the first bike away. The bike will be ridden by Dave Roper who was the only American to win a TT until Mark Miller emulated his feat in this year’s TT Zero clean emissions bike race.

One of the all time TT greats, Stanley Woods, will be represented by former MGP rider Ivan Rhodes, who will be riding a genuine 350cc works Velocette, which he owns. Stanley originally rode the bike in the 1948 Junior TT and 1949 World championship.

Geoff Duke, the 6 time TT Winner and 6 time World Champion will be represented by his son Peter, who will appropriately be riding a Manx Norton, the marque that Geoff rode to five TT victories in the fifties.

One of the greatest names in TT history, Honda, who were the first Japanese manufacturer to contest the event, and who have since gone on to win 155 times, will be represented by former world champion and TT winner Luigi Taveri, who will be riding a 1964 Honda RC161.

One of Yamaha’s most successful riders, Phil Read, the 8 times TT winner and 8 times World Champion, will be riding the factory 4 cylinder two-stroke 250cc Yamaha that he raced successfully in the 1968 TT and world championship.

Sidecar legend Jock Taylor, a 4 times TT winner who achieved a podium on his debut, will be represented by Steve Webster, MBE, the 10 time FIM World Champion. Steve will be riding one of Jock’s old TT winning machines.

The Senior TT winning Honda RC30 from 1988 will be ridden by Gary Dunlop who will be representing his father, the 5 time World Champion Joey. The Northern Ireland racer first competed on the Isle of Man in 1976 and his record of 26 victories leaves him as the most successful TT rider of all time.

Scotsman Steve Hislop, who was the first rider to lap at over 120mph and took part in what is widely acknowledged as one of the all time great races against Carl Fogarty – the 1992 Senior TT - will be represented twice in the parade by close friends Steve Plater and Stuart Easton. Steve, who has two TT victories to his name and is the current Senior TT Race Record holder, will be riding a replica RC30 to represent Steve's achievement as the first rider to lap at more than 120mph in 1989, whilst current BSB star and TT hopeful Stuart Easton will ride the ABUS 588cc rotary Norton from the epic 1992 Senior Race.

Northern Ireland’s Philip McCallen, the first rider to win 4 races in one week, will be riding a Honda RC45. Phil, who won 11 TT’s in a career that ran from 1989 to 1999, will be on the starting grid with the man that broke his record, Ian Hutchinson, who will be riding his history making Padgett’s Honda Superbike.

Nine-time TT winner David Jefferies will be represented by his uncle Nick, who will be riding the V&M Racing Yamaha R1 that ‘DJ’ raced in his 1999 campaign.

His great friend and rival John McGuinness, who has dominated the TT leader board with 15 victories since his first victory in 1999, will be bringing his 2007 Honda Superbike, on which he became the first man to break the 130mph lap for the 37¾ mile course.

I have hoisted more than a few beers with Mr. Roper. Can't call him a good friend but, he tolerates me well. He is my age or within a half year of it. I'd bet on him against any of you on similar machinery and that is certainly no reflection on any of you!
Dave gave up, as he tells it, everything so he could race. His father, a wealthy New York businessman gave him a choice: Quit racing and join the business or lose every penny of his inheritance.
Dave chose racing-- he is one of the most happy, satisfied, easy going, friendly people I have every met. He makes Glisson and Woody, in full pass out mode, look hyper active.

So, I'm following Ropers lead. IoM can wait, the beautiful former class mate who heads an east coast states higher education commission can wait, North Carolina can wait.
God willing, I'm going racing! Maybe I'll end up someday racing the TT (Well, probably not)
Feets! Don't fail me now!
AHRMA #628 (retired)

Last edited by WOZERD; 01-02-2011 at 09:30 PM.
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011   #70
kyzrex

Wozerd...I say go for it.
kyzrex is offline   Reply With Quote