LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Motorcycle Support > Ask the Mechanics

Ask the Mechanics OK all you GearHeads, please help answer the questions...

Old 07-20-2013   #16
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Re: LED Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossStev View Post
hello man I know thread is pretty old but which lights have you got? I am searching for replacement bulbs so which option will you recommend? Looking forward for quick reply... Thanks
Don't remember. I bought some cheapies. I never did fix the fast flash issue. It really doesn't annoy me anymore, so I've left it as it is.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016   #17
paleobiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossStev View Post
hello man I know thread is pretty old but which lights have you got? I am searching for replacement bulbs so which option will you recommend? Looking forward for quick reply... Thanks
I know it's a dead thread but still....

The LED lights depend on the wiring on the bike. Some have 1156 (just 2 wires, cannot be turn & running lights at the same time with stock wiring) e.g. My Suzuki wee strom

Some bikes (my ex ST1100) have 1157 sockets up front for turn signals. These lights are factory wired to be both turn & running lights.

Once you've identified your bike's turn bulb socket type, you can simply buy the corresponding LED lights.

Additional note : most rear bulb sockets on JAp bikes are of the 1157 type because there are both brake lights and running lights.

Load balancing?

Well this topic is important. I do not use resistors on my wiring because they TAKE AWAY my energy savings from using the LED lights I go with using an led relay flasher appropriate for the bike (all Suzuki street bikes, for example, have the same flasher)

I've a long thread on my LED turn signal swap on stromtrooper, I'll copy it here.

Regards,
Vishnu
paleobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016   #18
paleobiker

My post from stromtrooper :-

Hi All,

I recently replaced all 4 turn signals on my 2007 Wee Strom, and I have to say that the LED replacements are immensely brighter than the stock bulbs.

This could be due to the simple fact that these LEDs have 144 SMDs and are very bright (I'll add a video comparison) . I plan to make these into running lights soon. Pictures posted below for reference, along with links :-

Video Comparison

https://youtu.be/mepgl80YhFs

Size Comparison of LED with OEM Bulb (yes the LED fits fine!! )

JDM A Star LED 1156 ($25 for a pair, AMAZON)

Suzuki Replacement Flasher for LED lights ($14 on Amazon)

Regards,
Vishnu
Old 03-15-2016   #19
paleobiker

Minor note : video was taken before flasher exchange, it now flashes at normal rate
Old 03-29-2016   #20
paleobiker

I just took a video of my upgraded LED 1157 brake lights. I must say that they're actually pretty good! I mean, there is a discernable difference between running and brake lights. This is a common concern for LED brake/tail bulbs.

Also, the LED strips with strobe module are helpful, but please observe the below brake light vs running light output difference. Safety! I just took a video of my brake lights. I must say that they're actually pretty good! I mean, there is a discernable difference between running and brake lights.

https://youtu.be/bHqmyM7na3Y

Regards,
Vishnu

V Strom LED headlights - wp.me/p48a0W-1D
Turn signal conversion to running lights- wp.me/p48a0W-1Z
LED tail lights - wp.me/p48a0W-1I
MadStad + Givi - wp.me/p48a0W-1N
Mirror Extenders - wp.me/p48a0W-1R
Old 03-29-2016   #21
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Vishnu: This is prolly a stupid question, but being an old techno-grouch, I'd like to find these locally/retail rather than ordering over the interwebz. Are you aware of any local sourcing for the LED bulbs you've spec'd?
Old 03-29-2016   #22
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Back when this thread was first started, there were not as many options available for addressing certain LED/lighting issues. LED bulbs and technology have come a LONG WAY in the past five years. Just say'n.

12 KTM 990SMT
09 Kaw KLX250SM
04 BMW K1200RS
98 MZ Baghira
99 Tri Trophy 1200
97 Kaw EX250
93 Yaw TW200 [Daughter]
86 Hon CH250
81 Suz GS750
15 Kaw KLX140L
05 Lifan LF70
04 Skyteam ST50
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016   #23
paleobiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
Vishnu: This is prolly a stupid question, but being an old techno-grouch, I'd like to find these locally/retail rather than ordering over the interwebz. Are you aware of any local sourcing for the LED bulbs you've spec'd?
Yes . Let me try explain the approach below :-

I've found that Wal-Mart tends to stock some of these LED bulbs (both 1156 & 1157 sockets) . I am sure that auto stores locally might also have these in stock, at retail locations. So If one wants to buy them locally, it'd be best to call up and enquire.

However, the key problem when buying from Wal-Mart /local store Is that you'd need to make sure it's the latest technology bulb, and not an older version. How can you do this? I'll try to explain.

Each LED bulb has a # of SMDs. The SMD is the little square LED on a bulb. The higher the # of SMDs , the more output on them. We'd like to get these higher output ones.

Example of low SMD count LED (older, probably less output in general...cheaper)

Example of newer LED bulb, more SMDs, likely more light output and powerful

Also, the one's with more SMDs tend to be longer in length too...so you need to make sure you can use them in your particular ride. Or even in your car. Generally these one's fit our bikes. Some bikes might have too tight a space, so be careful!

A size comparison of my V Strom stock 1156 Amber turn bulb, vs the LED replacement I installed

As you can see, the LED I used, and bought from Amazon, had 144 SMDs! I'm not sure you'd get this from a local store that is my only issue. Maybe Wal-Mart or another store can order these in for you?

The Amazon-sourced LED Amber 1156 bulb I bought. It has a crazy # of SMDs

If you can get a similar number of SMDs then you're good! But even if SMDs are lower in count, you might get a brighter output.

Also, make sure the right socket is in play. Two wire solutions are generally 1156 sockets, while three wire (rear tail brake combined) bulbs are 1157 sockets.

Also, but the color you need based on the output, not based on the bulb housing! What I mean by this is, that if you're buying turn bulbs, get Amber bulbs. It doesn't matter of your lens housing is Amber or clear. You might be tempted to buy white bulbs if you've Amber/red bulb lens housing.... Please do not . The physics of light and how colors work, guides us to buying the color you wish to see.

Let's take an example:-

An Amber housing absorbs all other colors except Amber.... If you've a while LED rated for 5W, then only the Amber sub-component of that 5W light output is being transmitted by your housing. We don't want that !

If you instead use an Amber LED bulb rated for 5W, then all that 5W output gets transmitted out through the Amber housing. This is what we need! More light, better! So always buy the bulb based on your need, not based on the housing lens color.

I know this is probably overkill...But the long post could help anyone thinking about LED bulb replacements

Regards,
Vishnu