LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Racing tips and questions

Old 08-06-2008   #1
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

AHMRA experience

Anyone??

I am going to give Historic Production a shot in 2009 . Got me a 1970 CB450.
If that goes well, I'll do Sportsman 500 the following year or sooner.

Sure could use some advice. I wish I had decided this before Mid Ohio Vintage days-- could have walked around the pits and gotten some ideas. Now, looks like I'll have to go to Barber (boy-- that bums me out! ) to do some info gathering.

It would be great to find someone else to share travel costs with!

My goal is to be ready for Daytona 2009 as a first race. First though, got to get the bike to turn 30,000 RPM! I'm thinking of adding cathode ray tubes to the ECM
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #2
bpro
A.K.A. BUFF

Re: AHMRA experience

Give bill at http://www.bore-tech.com/index.htm a call. Great guy with tons of ARHMA experience under his belt.
Old 08-06-2008   #3
ohiocaferacer
Ohio Cafe Racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOZERD View Post
Anyone??

My goal is to be ready for Daytona 2009 as a first race.
I've raced with AHRMA.....good group....fun time...and Historic Production will be a great place to start with the CB450. Only one thing......AHRMA requires you to have raced at least 2 other tracks with them before they will allow you to enter/race Daytona or Mid-Ohio. But....if you can prove to them that you have raced with other organizations....they might wave it....thats what I did with Mid-Ohio a few years ago. Now Daytona may be a completely different story....they may stick to the rules on this track...dont know????

As for the bike......tires and suspension are the best adds to make right now. Bite the bullet and get a nice pair of Works shocks....you will have them for a long time...worth the money. Up front.....stiffen the springs with a spacer and run 15 to 20wt fork oil. Tires......purchase them from Barker Engineering in Florida....he gets some great compound tires that other dealers dont have. He has adds in the AHRMA rule book...he's out of Florida...dont have his phone number off hand and he doesnt have a website. Motor wise...fresh tune up and oil....and your good.

Hope this helps,
Greg
1972 Honda CR350 Replica Racer
ohiocaferacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #4
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Bill & Greg-- Can't thank you enough !!
This is the kind of info I was hoping for!

Never thought of the restriction for Daytona!! Gotta do some quick thinking. I was entered in the 50 mile amatuer in 1977 (or was it'78) at Daytona when the company I worked for cancelled my vacation because they transferred my assistant manager. As a result, I never got to race at Daytona. Maybe 2010 will be the year.
AHRMA #628 (retired)
Old 08-06-2008   #5
slikchik
More twisties? Where?

Got the bike ready? We've got a race school this weekend and two more races this season. Vintage classes and races too.
slikchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #6
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikchik View Post
Got the bike ready? We've got a race school this weekend and two more races this season. Vintage classes and races too.

WERA? FASTRAX?? Nelsons??

I may very well go just to check on what mods I can do-- but-- ready??

I wish (I really do!!).

Just got it-- matter of fact, it's not even home yet. I'm picking it up Friday.

Just to get it on the track I will need bars, tires, oil change, maybe a clutch, valve and cam chain adjust.

This winter it gets all new cables, valve grind, cam chain, clutch, brakes and anything else it needs.

It's not clear in AHMRA rulebook but-- can I switch to aluminum shouldered rims (like the old Akronts) that EXCEL now makes? Can I cut the seat down?

It sounds (and looks like in the few pictures I've seen) that I can replace the exhaust as long as it's still 2 into 2-- right? I have a little bit of fabrication experience and I'm tempted to make my own reverse cone "cans" with a removable baffle. But thats just a pipe dream right now (pun intended--groan )

Plus, I want to re-paint the tank-- it has faded from Candy red to sissy pink
I'm thinking of a Chromium yellow (like my 2000 Super Hawk) with a stylized replica of the tank stripe in a candy blue. And maybe, a
St Andrews flag embedded in the stripe in white pearl.

But-- who knows, come next spring I may find another windmill to go tilting at.

Funny -- if this does happen, I'll be ending my "carreer" just like I started it-- on a 500 twin. I started in 1974 on a TX500 Yamaha, at Nelsons. I looked at old Yamaha TX 500's but the head cracks faster than you can fix em-- great handling-- way better than the Honda but-- I want to race, not spend my time pulling heads.
AHRMA #628 (retired)
Old 08-19-2008   #7
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

clutch is on the way, gaskets too. all new cables are here.
Can't find wheel bearings --yet. Trying to bite the bullet for non DOT race only tires. Don't bitch about big azz 190 series radial tires til you see what they want for these skinny little bias ply tires!! OUCH!!

This is what I'm shooting for:http://www.ahrma.org/machines/hon_cl450.htm
AHRMA #628 (retired)

Last edited by WOZERD; 08-19-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2008   #8
jimcor

Had a 73 CB 450. The engine's big end went south at about 53,000 miles. Keep the oil changed often. For all practical purposes it has no filter. Found out talking to others that the engine's weak point is the bottom end.
jimcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #9
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcor View Post
Had a 73 CB 450. The engine's big end went south at about 53,000 miles. Keep the oil changed often. For all practical purposes it has no filter. Found out talking to others that the engine's weak point is the bottom end.
OUCH!!
Don't tell me that!!

to whom it may concern,
I'm totally surprised I got home from Westchester.
Took it out the other day, just expecting to ride around the block. It started and idled fine and, on accelleration, it was great til about 7K then just acted like it ran out of gas. I barely made it home.
Today, pulled the petcock. The screen was 98% blocked with varnish. Cleaned that (polished the little sediment bowl too!) and put it back together. I really expected it to run right this time. Started it up-- ticked em off like a Timex. Revved it up-- no problem. Headed out to the road and, bam-- off we went-- right to 7K. Then same problem. Only this time, it just died out!. There I am-- about a mile from the house and it starts but barely runs on only one cyllinder. I pulled the float bowl on the right side (just flip a wire retainer-- how cool is that?), found a small bird feather and used the quill to push the float pin out, caught the needle and then turned on the gas-- drip, drip- drip. Certainly not enough to feed the right cylinder. Pulled the left float bowl and turned on the gas-- nice steady stream. HMMMMMMMM. Ok, the needle seat has a screen in it-- I bet it's clogged too. All back together, the trick is, let the float bowl fill up and then idle along on one cylinder so the drip-drip-drip can almost keep up with demand. Every once in a while the left cylinder would fire and off we'd go but, just for a moment.
Once home, I decided to let it cool before seeing what I could find. Took out the wire brush and went back to cleaning 39 years of aluminum oxide off the cylinder fins and suddenly, I have a spark plug in my hand!
The left cylinder spark plug fell out! That explains the left cylinder not running.
Sunday, It's pull the needle seat and see what the clog is.
I looked at the points -- craters!!
It's a wonder this thing even runs-- but it runs good for a moment, starts right up-- and now I have the carbs synched-- idles great.
I keep intending to clean the carbs but except for the right cylinder running out of gas-- they work fine!

Front and rear hub bearings on the way, NOS plugs, condenser and points too.
I'm getting a front tire from Sporttour (they can't get a rear) and a rear tire from tiresunlimited (they can't get a front tire!)

For now, Pirelli Sport Demons.

I'm looking for one of those gawd awful huge headlamps off the Euro spec XJ920 (or is it XV) Yamaha chain drive V Twin standards that accidently made it here. They sold like little bottles of typhoid. But, I've seen a few so, they are out there!
And, right and left switch assys to a 250 Honda Nighthawk so I can eliminate the ignition key and use the kill switch as an on/off switch. The switch wires run externally (unlike mine designed to run through the bars) so I don't have to drill holes in my clubman bars.
AHRMA #628 (retired)

Last edited by WOZERD; 08-24-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2008   #10
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
I'm looking for one of those gawd awful huge headlamps off the Euro spec XJ920 (or is it XV) Yamaha chain drive V Twin standards that accidently made it here. They sold like little bottles of typhoid. But, I've seen a few so, they are out there!
That would be the XV920R (the XV920 without the "R" being the shaft-driven Virago).

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #11
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by witttom View Post
That would be the XV920R (the XV920 without the "R" being the shaft-driven Virago).

Thanks TW!
That would explain why all I'm finding are those Disco era square ones!!
AHRMA #628 (retired)
Old 08-24-2008   #12
jimcor

Quote:
Thanks TW!
That would explain why all I'm finding are those Disco era square ones!!
Local shop had one they took in trade. Couldn't unload it and used it as the company go-fer/beater bike. One of the staff finally bought it for less than a half a song.

I checked out that reflector,too. Really wanted one, could never find one.
jimcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #13
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

to whom it may concern,
Well, FUG!
Drilled out the brass pick up tubes (the reserve one was broken off flush, the other was cracked all the way to the base. On reserve, gooy crap in the tank would clog the pick up), made new ones and staked them into the petcock. Put it together, the petcock leaked. Took it apart, monkeyed with the little round rubber thing with holes in it and spent the day putting gas in the tank and draining it out until the petcock didn't leak. Then, fuel beagn to leak from the right carb at the fuel line. replaced the line-- still leaked. Hose clamped it-- STILL leaked. Finally went out and bought 3/16" ID vinyl tubing-- didn't leak. YEAH!!
Started it up, took it out, whacked it-- that hair raising 180' parallel Honda twin wail sounded great! A little stumble in the middle but that could be points--right? At cruise-- one cylinder only-- points-- right? No, wait-- at idle great-- at full whack-- great. Gotta be the right carb--right? But I've been thru it and been thru it-- what could it be?
Well, will worry about i tlater. Let's start tearing this thing down, adjust the valves, replace points, condensr, plugs, cables and get the rims off ready for new tires and wheel bearings. Once we know the ignition and the valves are correct, we'll go back at the carb if that cutting out problem is still there.
Up on the stand-- pull the dyno cover to get to all the timing, TDC. marks. Hmmmm-- that explains the weep-- there is NO bottom half of the dyno gasket-- weight savings ploy (as somone suggested)?
Pull the cam covers. 22 cigarettes and 5 cups of coffee later and they are shining pretty good-- still some corrosion marks but, not bad for steel wool by hand. Even went so far as to wire wheel the bolt heads AND washers!
now, let's get this thing TDC. Re-install the shift lever, grab the back wheel and-- OH-- wait, better pull the plugs.
Tum de dum, remove the left plug-- the one that had fallen out in my hand while wire brushing the head fins. Now for the right-- pull the cap-- WTF? Looks like it's barely in there! Grabbed the plug and it was loose-- I could wiggle it up and down-- turn it out with my fingers-- 1/4 turn and resistance. 22 cigarettes and 5 cups of coffee later, I find my spark plug wrench-- in my back pocket! Should have sat down sooner-- would have saved on cigs and coffee!
Turned the plug-- resistance. Turned it back in a little-- resistance. back out-- back in-- resistance. This isn't looking good.
Prayed to Snap On, the god of expensive tools and to Craftsman just in case. I even did a quick genuflec to ODD LOTS and the lesser god, "Made in China" to cover all my bases.
The gods were not listening today-- the plug came out with much effort and about 1/4TH the threads off the head.
There ain't nothing uglier and more heart rending than the sight of aluminum spark plug hole threads stuck to a spark plug. My guess is, the old guy that sold me the bike had, at some point, pulled the plugs then hand threaded them back in a few turns. The left one fell out without damaging the threads. The right one bounced around until it bunged up the threads. Why didn't I check the right spark plug when the left one fell out? Why didn't I check the spark plugs when, after driving it 54 miles, it suddenly started to run bad?
It was one of those kick the wall and break your toe moments-- one of those throw your $64.00 wrench into the soy bean field cuz you're so pissed off times.
Dug up my old plug thread chaser. Try to get the right angle, try to catch sme threads-- AH! Got a bite. some resistance but it's feeling ri-- no-- it's not feeling right-- hard resistance. Remove the chaser-- totally wrong angle. Too low. Wow, that intake valve is sitting right there-- my luck I'll bend it with the thread chaser. Turn the engine til the valve seats. Try again-- this time at a more 45' angle-- AH!! got a bite-- nope, again-- nope, again-- finally-- it's cutting. Two turns and hard resistance. Pull it out--$hit. It's toast.
My only hope is, go at it from the inside and if that doesn't work-- helicoil. Either way the head has to come off.

There goes my hopes of taking it to Saluda. There goes my hopes of a track day at Putnam. There goes my hope of The Alley Shop meet-- at least on this bike.
With all the money I've spent on clutches and gaskets ($111.00)cables
(126.00), plugs/points ($28.00), petcocks ($48.00)and tires($300.00) to say nothing of the bike itself ($900.00), I'm tapped out.
Plus, I've got Saluda and MotoGp coming at me.
To put it mildly: FUGG!
So-- to the back of the garage it goes. The Beemer gets it's maintenance and my attention (I haven't ridden it in a month!) and, I'm going to concentrate on this GL1100 turd that has taken over my garage since March-- get it running and get it back to it's owner.
This is how dreams end I bet. I hope I can get the motivation-- once all this other stuff is over-- and I'm back to being in the black financially, I can go back at it.
I have to pull the head. To do that, I have to break the cam chain. Once the head is off-- hey, why not pull the cylinders-- why not do a top end overhaul? Hell, why not send it to Hanson or Henning and have them give it the full whack? Maybe if I sell my car and my Beemer, I can get the money to do it-- OOOOH, and I can sell my lawn mower! I bet I could get a few bucks for my dog too! I don't need a TV-- or a couch. Hey!! I can sell my bed and sleep on the floor! That carpet looks pretty comfortable! Wait-- I could sell the carpet!! Carpet? Hell! Sell the house!! Ya-- sell the house!!That should do it!!!

Anybody know anybody that has a cam chain breaker and staker I can beg, borrow or buy? Or trade for a dog or a car? Or carpet-- a bed? How about a nice BMW motorcycle?
AHRMA #628 (retired)
Old 08-28-2008   #14
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Funny -- if this does happen, I'll be ending my "carreer" just like I started it-- on a 500 twin. I started in 1974 on a TX500 Yamaha, at Nelsons. I looked at old Yamaha TX 500's but the head cracks faster than you can fix em-- great handling-- way better than the Honda but-- I want to race, not spend my time pulling heads.

AKA: "Famous last words"
AHRMA #628 (retired)
Old 08-28-2008   #15
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

You're giving up too easy. I think it's the coffee and 3am moon talking.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote