LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 02-28-2017   #1
Brider
DIE HARD CUB FAN

Time for a new helmet

Since Sporttour is no more I've lost my guy that always sold me last years Shoei model at a great price and its now time for a new one. Do you have a dealer you especially like?
Brider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #2
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Re: Time for a new helmet

I've recently purchased an Arai left-over from Mike at Riders Discount for a very good price. Not sure what specials he has currently, but he has a vendor thread on OhioRiders and monitors it regularly. Or give him a call.

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/
Old 03-01-2017   #3
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

Take a look at the Caberg Duke if you want a flip face
3.4LBS
ECE2225
Passes "Sharps" test for frontal impact
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #4
Kowalski

I buy a new Shoei every 5 years at the Iron Pony in Columbus. This time of year they usually have a few RF series left-overs for a decent price (in-store).
Old 03-01-2017   #5
OGOB

A slight direction change for this thread, but has anyone purchased or at least worn a 6D ATS-1 helmet. I'm in the market for a new helmet and I'd like to get the take of someone who has one, not just what the company claims. Reviews are few and far between and mostly just a rehash of the 6D release.
John Noel Bartlett
OGOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #6
Felby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
I buy a new Shoei every 5 years at the Iron Pony in Columbus. This time of year they usually have a few RF series left-overs for a decent price (in-store).
+1 on this. They've got a ton of helmets to pick from.
Old 03-01-2017   #7
Brider
DIE HARD CUB FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
Sounds like a trip to Iron pony is in order. If nothing else I can ID what I want and then do the on line search. Thanks.

Last edited by Brider; 03-01-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2017   #8
thom_boles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brider View Post
Sounds like a trip to Iron pony is in order. If nothing else I can ID what I want and then do the on line search. Thanks.
I know this isn't much to supporting "local" if that even exists anymore but I've had excellent luck (and support) with Revzilla. I tried to fit my fat head into a NEXX helmet (they make a real nice adventure helmet) but the size just didn't work. They even tried shipping me the skinnier cheek pads to see if that helped and when it didn't they took everything back no questions asked (and paid the shipping too). I ended up with a Shoei Neotech from them since I had so much luck.
Old 03-02-2017   #9
Kowalski

I first heard about Revzilla a few years ago from an unwitting Iron Pony rep who was complaining about how good their prices are. I have since bought a lot of stuff from Revzilla with no complaints. When it comes to lids, I still like to try one on and buy it in an actual store, and the IP's in-store discounts are (usually) competitive with Revzilla pricing. So +1 on the zilla, but I just hate dealing with shipping stuff back and forth.
Old 03-03-2017   #10
Scuba
Bite my shiny metal ass

I usually buy at IP as well. I try to support the "local" businesses when I can so they stay around but I they have to be at least reasonably close to what I can find online. I also hate having to RMA stuff that doesn't fit. At least with Shoei I pretty much know what size I'll wear as they are pretty consistent. So much so that I bought a "used" helmet on the cheap from a guy on ADV who wore it once but couldn't return it (normally I find using/buying someone else's used helmet is like wearing their underwear - nope). Arai has a lot of different shell shapes depending on the model.

re:Revzilla...I've noticed their prices have increased since Anthony sold the business.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017   #11
WOZERD
LOCO Pseudo-Intellectual

What ever you buy, make sure it's not something I like.
I liked Twinnings Darjeeling tea-- Used to buy int at Meijer, half the time they were out of it. then they quit carrying it. Then Kroger quit and Walmart doesn't, never did.
They have all the other Twinnings but no Darjeeling.
I always liked Hillshire Farms beef smoked sausage. Meijer suddenly stopped-- no one else carries it.
My dog Ben is starting to suffer from arthritis. Milk Bone makes a dog biscuit with chondroitin and glucosamine, supposed to help. It does.
Not even Petsmart carries it anymore.

I like Phillip Morris Multifilter cigarettes long ago-- they stopped making em.

I switched to another brand-- they stopped making them. I switched to another brand--
well, you get the idea.
I sold my R1150RT with a Moto-Pak Tank bag. They guy offered me my asking price IF it included the 8 year old tank bag.
I figured-- no biggie-- I'd get another one. They were only $49.00.
Guess what!!!???
So-- I decided to get a new set of soft luggage-- tank and saddle bags.
After 3 weeks of comparing, looking and thinking-- I settle on a set from First Gear. Their Silverstone series mini tank bag and expandable saddle bags.
Revzilla, Motorcycle Superstore--- JP, Everybody had them at the same price. Including Iron Pony.
ROAD TRIP!!!
I think-- before I drive 1 1/2 hours-- better make sure they have them.
Denise says-- nope!! But should have em by tomorrow "must have just sold our last shipment.
I asked her to call soon as they show up.
I get a call. Sorry-- They are discontinued.
DAMMIT!!
So, back to the internet.
What was there 3 days ago-- is now not listed-- or has a warning-- "out of stock"
AHRMA #628 (retired)
WOZERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017   #12
Brider
DIE HARD CUB FAN

Please don't start looking for a RF 1200 helmet.
Old 03-04-2017   #13
Scuba
Bite my shiny metal ass

I checkout out the manufacture date of my Neotec and it'll be 5 years old next month. According to Shoei you should replace them every 5 years which I think is quasi-legit but it's a good excuse to give the wife. It's getting to the point where the liner won't stay snapped in spots, especially with the Sena 10U installed
I might pick up a new white Neotec because I really like the helmet and the Sena unit is specifically made for that helmet and I just got that replaced after the first one quit working so it's practically new.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017   #14
bigjoepainting

last spring cycle specialties had shoei RF-1200 solids for $399. that's $50 less than online stores that I could find. I'd say stop in the store on Rt4 and see if they have some on sale again.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017   #15
bigjoepainting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I checkout out the manufacture date of my Neotec and it'll be 5 years old next month. According to Shoei you should replace them every 5 years which I think is quasi-legit but it's a good excuse to give the wife. It's getting to the point where the liner won't stay snapped in spots, especially with the Sena 10U installed
I might pick up a new white Neotec because I really like the helmet and the Sena unit is specifically made for that helmet and I just got that replaced after the first one quit working so it's practically new.
I don't think they do. their warranty is for 5 years. that doesn't mean it has to be replaced. arai said in a mag a few years ago a helmet can be safely used for 10

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 03-06-2017 at 05:37 PM.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote