LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Community Forums > General Discussions

Old 07-02-2017   #1
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Question Motorcycle Lawyer Recommendations

As many of you already know, I was in a fairly serious motorcycle accident this past week. My insurance company has already informed me that this is likely to be a long and drawn out process, despite the other driver being cited and admitting all fault. I just know that the driver's insurance is gonna try to screw me. They always do.

I've never been one to aggressively go after someone with an ambulance-chasing lawyer in hopes of getting rich. We're already in a sue happy society IMHO, but... this person has caused me a world of pain, has severally disrupted my life, and has absolutely destroyed my bike along with significant amount of accessories and gear. The value of the bike is probably a drop in the bucket compared to the medical expenses.

I've never been in an accident that was someone else's fault. I honestly don't know how to proceed or who I should consult with.

Looking for recommendations/advice.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017   #2
icantdrive55
Biker Billy

Re: Motorcycle Lawyer Recommendations

TTTom: Like you, I'm no fan of overly zealous ambulance chasers, but cases like yours are pretty plain as to where the fault lies. Only one I can reco--and it's only because I've seen postings on OhioRiders forum about his focus--is Anthony Castelli. Supposedly a motorcycle-focused practice from someone who rides. Good luck!!!

http://www.castellilaw.com/Motorcycle-Accidents.html
Old 07-02-2017   #3
Project84

Sorry to hear about the get off!!

Can't be of any help but good luck!
Old 07-03-2017   #4
Stop4No1
Habitual Offender

Eric Spector.

He races with WERA and specializes in motorcycle accidents. I have his card at home, I'll try to find it.
Stop4No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #5
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

Most likely in the end you'll need a lawyer but you might move along with his insurance at first if they take care of things you have time! Keep records of everything ( I mean a daily diary because you won't be able to recall things later) as soon as you mention lawyer the insurance will cease all dialogue and will not be helpful what so ever !
Old 07-03-2017   #6
Dave Bannister
OH-Cincinnati Member

The other thing to keep in mind lawyers get a 1/3 off the top of the total bill
Old 07-25-2017   #7
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

Did you find your Saul Goodman?
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017   #8
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

I'm still holding out. No lawyer, yet.

Has been a flurry of insurance activity last week. My insurance company hasn't done shit for me (Progressive), despite them assuring me on Day-1 that they would take care of it. But they have done nothing but sit on their ass. I couldn't even get them to obtain the police report for me. I finally obtained it myself and gave them a copy. They alerted the other guy's insurance a few days later, but only because they (Progressive) received a bill for my ER visit. The other guy's insurance company (Geico) has accepted liability for the accident due to the police report that I provided them. They have not been able to reach their client after many attempts.

I spoke to Geico three different times, three different people, over several hours on that first day that they reached out to me, nearly 3-weeks after the accident. They were the friendliest and most helpful of anyone that I had talked to yet, including my own motorcycle insurer (Progressive) and my own health insurance (BC/BS).

On that same day, I discovered that my own health insurance (BC/BS) denied my Orthopedic Surgeon's request for an MRI on my right shoulder, which undoubtedly sustained some pretty serious damage. Probably a labral tear, rotator cuff, and something called 'impingement syndrome' (?). It's pretty fu˘ked up, but unable to have surgery to fix it, until they get an MRI to see what/where/how specifically is torn. My Ortho office is still fighting with them, trying to get it sorted. We hope to have that worked out this week. Lucky for me, we have not been in a huge rush for the surgery because we're trying to get my left hand (badly broken metacarpal and multiple wrist bone fractures) to heal up well enough that I'll at least have one working arm during recovery.

Geico has informed me, off the record and early on, that my injuries and the medical bills will very likely exceed the other dude's coverage. My under-insured policy with Progressive will need to kick in and pick up where they leave off. I foresee some difficulties with this, but we're not at that point yet.

I spoke with 4th guy from Geico yesterday, the adjuster for the bike. He was an asshole and within the first 2-minutes on the phone with him, I almost said 'Lawyer' but I bit my tongue. I pleaded my case for the excessive amount of extras on the bike. He really didn't care. My only request was that I wanted him to actually look at the bike and confirm that these items are present, rather than roll up in his car and make a quick determination that it's a total loss based on what he can see from afar. I tried to give him a friendly heads up that it's a total loss, but he's an arrogant asshole and not convinced yet. I'm fairly confident that they/he is gonna try to screw me, but we'll see in a few days after he has a look at the bike.

So, no lawyer yet. ...but it may be inevitable at some point.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
Old 07-25-2017   #9
John S

As hard as it is, remaining civil and polite with them will help you out. My favorite question for the person from the other ins. co. is "Why should I be out of pocket due to negligence of your insured customer?" when they are not being fair and helpful.

The settlement for the bike may well pale in comparison to your bodily repairs and rehab, and pain/suffering/lost income opportunites.

Finally, I would be cautious about what you post here or anywhere. I hope you have a good recovery.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017   #10
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
As hard as it is, remaining civil and polite with them will help you out. My favorite question for the person from the other ins. co. is "Why should I be out of pocket due to negligence of your insured customer?" when they are not being fair and helpful.
So far, I've always remained civil and polite. This last guy though, is a challenge. I did remind him that his insured customer caused the accident that has left me with a considerable number of injuries. Strangely enough, he did mellow out a bit after that.

Quote:
The settlement for the bike may well pale in comparison to your bodily repairs and rehab, and pain/suffering/lost income opportunites.
Agreed. The cost of the bike will be a drop in the bucket compared to everything else. But if they max on on the medical, I should at least get a fair compensation for the material things that were destroyed.

Quote:
Finally, I would be cautious about what you post here or anywhere. I hope you have a good recovery.
Always cautious.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
Old 07-25-2017   #11
Project84

When the dust settles and justice is served, I hope to see you on my 2008 Tiger in selling.

That said, currently looking at lots of trade offers and not sure what will happen there!

Hopefully the insurance guys play nice with ya and square you away.
Old 07-26-2017   #12
AnswerMeister
I ride - therefore I am

Tom, I have a relative that works for one of the named insurance companies. I was told that if you are not happy with the service you are receiving you can call the general number and ask for it to be escalated or you can call the adjuster assigned and let them know what actions you are expecting and if they cannot deliver say you would like to speak with a supervisor.
When I was hit over a month ago on the bike, the property damage and the medical damage were handled as two different claims. I was lucky that the property damage was pretty cut and dry. But if it wasn’t the person handling the medical had influence over them. The property was settled in about 10 days with cash in hand. It was not until they settled the medical that I was also offered and given an amount for pain and suffering as well as time away from work to deal with trips to the dealer and the ER. If I had not already met my deductible for the year I would have been entitled to be reimbursed for the amount I paid that was not covered. Whenever I got a Coordination of benefits (COB) I would scan that and send it to the adjuster. They assured me that it would be handled.
Needless to say document EVERYTHING and call. I started a word doc and kept a journal over every conversation that I had with anyone. Date, time, name, company and notes. Anything I scanned and sent in I wrote notes on it to the same effect. Good Luck.
AnswerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017   #13
bigjoepainting

your health ins denied the mri because they are expecting that to be covered by his insurance. this is how it worked for me.

my ins called me to tell me this. once they found out (my own accident) my bike ins didn't have medical coverage (because I had very good health insurance) then they approved everything after that. so this part is on his insurance. it will all be sorted out. it just takes time when it come to them opening up their checkbook.
if it were a matter of life or death the hospital would have done it anyway and then let the ins part play out later.

Last edited by bigjoepainting; 07-30-2017 at 01:04 AM.
bigjoepainting is offline   Reply With Quote