LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Racing tips and questions

Old 03-23-2006   #1
NYDan

Fork oil ?

I have a FZR 600 there is no adjustment to front suspension and money running short (imagine that) reading about heaver shock oil to stiffing shocks anyone have suggestion's on oil brands and weight? as you can tell very green at this thanks.
Dan
NYDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #2
bpro
A.K.A. BUFF

Re: Fork oil ?

If everything else with the forks is stock go with 15wt. brand is not real important as long as it is fork (hydrolic) oil.and 'thicker and the fork action will get way too harsh.

simply adding heavier oil will not stiffen the forks. it will make the damping seem stiffer and give a bit more bottoming resistance, but you will not be getting the most out of your forks.

A set of fork springs is the best/cheapest way to go for improving your handling.

if you are under 185 lbs progressives will be fine (last I checked around $70)
over that and you will prolly want to go with race tech or traxxion. ($109 last I checked)
Old 03-23-2006   #3
NYDan

Thanks, Cheap simple things don't ever work, thats why the post. I need all the help I can get in handling dept. I don't care about straight line speed. just want to be smooth and safe.
Old 03-23-2006   #4
bpro
A.K.A. BUFF

thanks,
if the bike is in good shape your best bet is to go for a set of springs and update the front brakes. The calipers and master cyl from a 99-04 R6 will bolt right up so keep a sharp eye on ebay. just remember that you can't run the R6 calipers with the fzr master cyl.

here are a couple choices on suspension parts for your bike.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat=Springs&make=Yamaha&model=YAMAHA%20FZR%20600%20GENESIS%20(3HE)%2089-93<&model_name=YAMAHA%20FZR%20600%20GENESIS%20(3HE)%20 89-93<

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

I ride a 95 yzf600r so my bike is not that much different than yours.

check out http://www.oldskoolyzf.com/forum/phpBB2/ while you are out here.
Old 03-23-2006   #5
Motorsports Photo

SO you didnt say what was actually WRONG with your forks??!!

Almost any forks can benefit from a good cleaning and fresh oil

Stick with what the OEM recommends. Forget what the book says, collapse and fill the forks to within 6 inches of the top. Extend, put the springs in and go!

You can use some PVC pipe to make spacers if you get too much bottoming.

Thats the cheap route

-SP
Motorsports Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6
NYDan

Bill, Thanks for the links and info.

Pete, I have only rode this bike about 25 miles on the street before taking it apart to prep it for fasttrax school and no where to test till I get there. I'm around 215lbs with gear, standing on the pegs and doing the two hop, fork travel is a little under 2 inches, feels a bit soft.
Don't plan on being fast but want to get through the two day race school at the end on April and hope to do a 30min endurance on sat. without being a fish out of water. Without knowing how it will feel to begin with I don't think I should try to do many changes at the track this time around. The old change one thing to screw up three others rule applies with me.

Last edited by NYDan; 03-24-2006 at 08:49 AM.