LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Stunt Riding

Stunt Riding If you push the limit, this is the place to share all that stuff that many can't understand...

Old 05-31-2006   #1
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Excessive Speeds on Public Roads

I saw something yesterday evening that was almost too unreal to believe.

On my way to softball practice for Kid No.1, I met two bikes on a straightaway local rural road near my home. One (I think it was a late 90's GSXR based on the headlight design and blue/white paint scheme, but I'm not 100% sure) passed me going the opposite direction doing …oh, I dunno. 130mph+ followed closely by another (CBR I think, not sure) doing 110-120 or so. It was one of those "Wow, did you see that?" situations. That's not the interesting part of the story.

A little while later, I'm standing on the softball field behind Elda Elementary School in Ross helping out with practice. I could hear this bike in the distance just totally screaming. In a flash, I saw [what I believe to be] the same GSXR go by on US27 at a massively excessive speed.

I can't claim to make an accurate guess of the speed, because when you see something go by that fast it's almost impossible to really say. However, based on the fact that I witnessed him cover approx a quarter mile distance (which was pretty much my field of view) in what appeared to be less than 5 seconds... I'd hafta say he was doing 180mph, give or take 10mph. I don't think I've ever seen anything that fast on public roads (hell, it's not often you see something that fast on a track). ...a few seconds later, the second bike zooms by. I'm guessing he was doing 150 or so.

Keep in mind, this wasn't one of those "Run it up to XXXmph for a split second and then back it off". These guys were tucked in, wide open throttle, top gear, engines screaming, and not letting off. I wish I could have caught it on video, because it was almost too unreal to believe.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
93 Yamaha TW200 [Daughter]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
15 Kawasaki KLX140L [Son]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
witttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #2
ujduche
artificially hip

Re: Excessive Speeds on Public Roads

Was either rider wearing any gear?

We can rebuild him: better, faster, stronger...
ujduche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #3
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujduche
Was either rider wearing any gear?
Helmets, yes... beyond that, I can't honestly say. Going by that fast, it was really difficult to make out any details. Had I not seen them earlier in the evening travelling at 130ish, I would not have even been able to tell what kind of bikes I think (think) they were.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
Old 05-31-2006   #4
Omegaman
Deported to Wisconsin!!

stop being jealous that you can only go 110 on the trophy

1976 Honda 400/4 Super Sport

1979 Honda 750K (x2)
Omegaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #5
Jim-Cincinnati

Thumbs down Re: Excessive Speeds on Public Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by witttom
I saw something yesterday evening that was almost too unreal to believe.

On my way to softball practice for Kid No.1, I met two bikes on a straightaway local rural road near my home. One (I think it was a late 90's GSXR based on the headlight design and blue/white paint scheme, but I'm not 100% sure) passed me going the opposite direction doing …oh, I dunno. 130mph+ followed closely by another (CBR I think, not sure) doing 110-120 or so. It was one of those "Wow, did you see that?" situations. That's not the interesting part of the story.

A little while later, I'm standing on the softball field behind Elda Elementary School in Ross helping out with practice. I could hear this bike in the distance just totally screaming. In a flash, I saw [what I believe to be] the same GSXR go by on US27 at a massively excessive speed.

I can't claim to make an accurate guess of the speed, because when you see something go by that fast it's almost impossible to really say. However, based on the fact that I witnessed him cover approx a quarter mile distance (which was pretty much my field of view) in what appeared to be less than 5 seconds... I'd hafta say he was doing 180mph, give or take 10mph. I don't think I've ever seen anything that fast on public roads (hell, it's not often you see something that fast on a track). ...a few seconds later, the second bike zooms by. I'm guessing he was doing 150 or so.

Keep in mind, this wasn't one of those "Run it up to XXXmph for a split second and then back it off". These guys were tucked in, wide open throttle, top gear, engines screaming, and not letting off. I wish I could have caught it on video, because it was almost too unreal to believe.
Of course the Suzuki was in the lead !
( Both riders should lose their licenses and their bikes for a year !).
Old 05-31-2006   #6
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaman
stop being jealous that you can only go 110 on the trophy
110. Hmm. Yeah, I guess it might be able to do that.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
Old 05-31-2006   #7
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Cincinnati
Of course the Suzuki was in the lead !
Because he was 20% more insane than the next guy? Hehe...

Quote:
( Both riders should lose their licenses and their bikes for a year !).
Welp.. to quote a fellow rider, "I wonder how long those guys will be alive?". I'm trying to resist the temptation of calling a kettle black, but at those speeds, virtually anything can kill you. There is simply no time to react.

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
Old 05-31-2006   #8
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

I double checked my math this evening since I was in the area and believe that my Point-A to Point-B quarter mile estimate was pretty much dead nuts on. 5 seconds to get from Point-A to Point-B? I wasn't holding a stop watch, so who is to really say? It seem like LESS than that to me, but I find that to be virtually impossible for that bike.

I'm pretty sure this was a 1996 to 1999 Suzuki GSXR750. I looked up the specs on those models and get a few different answers on the top speed. That window seems to be around 165mph to 175mph or so. Whatever the real top speed of one of those bikes is... I'd say he was doing it (his speedo was probably registering 190's). I suppose it could be a little beyond that if the bike wasn't stock. No matter how I look at it, I still say "Damn, that was fast!".

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]
Old 05-31-2006   #9
djewell
molon labe

My natural reaction would be, that I would want to catch up to the fool and slow him down, being next to a park district and all. But I guess that is just me getting old and farty.

Then again I would want to catch up with him which would mean going balls to the walls.

Last edited by djewell; 05-31-2006 at 10:17 PM.
djewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #10
sgtfreyday
Fish and Chips burner...

Darwinism will play itself out. Hopefully sooner than later.

"God invented beer to prevent the Irish from taking over the world!"
sgtfreyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #11
kneedragger77
Troublemaker

hmm,
back 5 years ago or so when I was stationed at Ft Sill OK (closest thing to barren wasteland as you can get), I would top out my bike on roads that were straight as an arrow and stretched for miles and miles....with only the steer looking on from their pastures. I guess you could call that "safe" as there were no cars, homes, ANYTHING out there. Then again, if I would have wrecked......well that would have been it. As I've gotten a little older and wiser I rarely take the bike above 90 to 100mph unless I'm at the track, because for most street rides "fast" can be achieved at 60mph.

These idiots of which you speak, who were doing those speeds don't deserve to die. They probably just think it's cool, and hopefully they will get a wakeup call which wont cost them or anyone else a life. Funny you should mention ignorant riding, this past week I've probably seen 20 to 30 bikes on the road, and almost all of them were in shorts and had their helmets strapped to the back seat. I don't even worry about it anymore. It's their choice, hopefully it won't hurt too much when they find out it was a bad one.
Old 06-01-2006   #12
kirbyp

yeah, well at least they had their helmets with them! maybe it'll save the tail section of their bike's life if they wreck! true bikers, putting their motorcycle's safety above their own!... God I think that's stupid! you're right though, people do it all the time. I must admit, I did go out in shorts the other day when it was like 92^ since I wasn't going for a very long ride and wasn't going to be getting on expressway or anything... but you'd better believe I had my helmet on my head, not my bike! and I did still wear my jacket. it's mesh so it's not too bad when it's hot outside... A friend of mine rides with his helmet strapped to the back all the time. I used to argue with him about it, but I'm not going to win.

My brother in-law's brother is/was like the guys you're talking about above, going full throttle on the street. He lives in Cali. A few years back (probably 5-6 years ago now) he wrecked doing about 150ish. Thank God he lived through it, had full leathers with kevlar and full face helmet... I think he walked away with a broken leg, not much more damage... but he's lucky! when he wrecked he slid for a long time and slowed down more gradually cause he was out in the desert. the guys you're talking about are in the suburbs where you're probably more likely to hit something and stop instantly... which is much harder on the body!
kirbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #13
chrisOH

Well he was not actually on in the park district. 27 where they are doing it is more like an interstate. If they started at the last entrance and went to 128 there are no turns, no places for someone to pull out infront of you and is a divided highway with huge median.

I know the area of 27 you are talking about. Just about where 27 crosses over 128 right?

Well there is a reason why it is called the Highway to Heaven. But yeah it isn't that smart to do, but with the lack of police in that area it is the most tempting. Was the first group passing you on 27 or 128?

No I am not saying it is ok, just giving more of the facts.

Last edited by chrisOH; 06-01-2006 at 11:00 AM.
chrisOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #14
Timido

I am sure everyone has Speeded Excessivly. I have gotten a little into my bikes ever now and then but it was on some roads way out of the publics yiew.

We used to play with cars on us27 when I was younger and dumb (Not so legal racing). I also remember what us27 used to look like "The highway to heaven" It was lined with crosses and memorials all the way to Oxford. Lots of people died on that road. Now I enjoy a calm ride up us27.
Timido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #15
witttom
TTT - FYYFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisOH
I know the area of 27 you are talking about. Just about where 27 crosses over 128 right?
Yup. That's the place. Just North of Ross, US27 splits into a divided highway. They came from that direction, crossed over 128 (the Ross exit) and continued South over the Great Miami and on toward Colerain. They were up-to-speed as they crossed over 128. There was light traffic and some vehicles coming onto the highway there at 128 as they blew by.

Quote:
Well there is a reason why it is called the Highway to Heaven. But yeah it isn't that smart to do, but with the lack of police in that area it is the most tempting. Was the first group passing you on 27 or 128?
I saw the same riders on a straight stretch of Layigh Rd (one of the few straights on this rural road) in Ross township.

As far as lack of police... well, I guess that depends on your definition. Any rural community like that is going to have their police force spread out, but of any area in Ross Township, I'd say this section is where the most tickets are written (I'm just guessing). They love to catch speeders on US27 going North out of Hamilton county or coming South as it splits into the divided highway. They sit in the median just to the North of the Great Miami (which is Butler County at that point) and just to the North of 128 where the two lanes merge into one. The section of US27 between Millville and Oxford is pratrolled quite heavily (IMHO).

I too remember when US27 was nicknamed The Highway to Heaven, and I lost a few friends and classmates on that road in the late 80's. Things have changed, but it still presents a far amount of risk. Deer strikes are very common, there is a crash at the intersection of 27 and New London Rd on a regular basis, and you have the occasional drunken biker pulling out from The Farm (that's food/beverage/entertainment establishment, not an actual farm).

98 MZ Baghira
99 Trophy 1200 [Parked]
86 Honda CH250 [Scoot]
81 Suz GS750 [Project]
05 Lifan LF70 [Kid]
04 Skyteam ST50 [Kid]