LocalRiders.com  

Go Back   LocalRiders.com > Competition > Drag Racing

Old 07-28-2006   #1
pguest

AMA Prostar event @ Indianapolis 8/12 & 13

Event page up: http://www.amaprostar.com/press_rele...event_page.asp

If you hurry today you can order reduced price weekend spectator passes online. Click on event registration in the left hand column. I think 1-day passes purchased at the gate are $20 for adults; not sure about price for children.

BTW, the event is still being held at Indianapolis Raceway Park, west of Indy. It has a new name now.

Last edited by pguest; 07-28-2006 at 12:50 PM.
pguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #2
joeybeppy
slojo

Re: AMA Prostar event @ Indianapolis 8/12 & 13

Thanks Pam.

I've never been to a bike drag event, so I've scheduled this event in my "would like to do calendar". Are you racing there that weekend? I've toured, cruised, sport biked, road raced, but never drag raced, and been thinking of trying it out. I've always been an adrenaline junkie, and time is running out (getting old...er). A friend of mine has a Suz 1100GS just waiting to be bought by myself, but I haven't commited yet. He used to on occasion, drag years ago. This bike has some drag stuff on it, and he's maticulous on quality/up-keep. The bike is stock (looks high/tall) looking. Could you pass on any words of wisdom, please? From road racing, I have all the leather goodies. I'd like to try my Aprilia RSV first, but been told my clutch would fry after a few tries? But, I'd like to add another bike to the ol' collection.

Enjoy Life,
Joe
Old 07-30-2006   #3
pguest

Yes I will be there racing in the Pro E.T. and Super Gas classes. Time trials and one Pro E.T. class are on Saturday, then the Super Gas and 2nd Pro E.T. races begin Sunday morning.

You can read about some "basics" of drag racing on pages 6 & 7 of the Prostar rulebook which you can view or download from their website.

To get a feel of your bike at the dragstrip and to practice staging & launching, I would suggest attending a test & tune day at a local dragstrip. Most test & tunes this time of year are held in the evening, such as Thursday & Saturday from 5-9 at Tri-State Dragway in Hamilton, OH or Friday from 5-9 at Edgewater in Cleves, OH. But check the websites or make a phone call, as sometimes things change, such as they may have 2 or 3-day events occasionally and regular test & tunes are canceled.

Just a little hint about "cutting a good light", launch when you see the last amber bulb light up on the tree, don't wait until you see the green bulb. And another word of advice is if your bike isn't lowered at all, slip the clutch on the launch, don't dump the lever, as it will probably wheelie. If you have road raced, you probably have a feel for how much you can rev the motor at the start without doing a wheelie. I don't know if your RVS needs any TLC, or if it is a hydraulic clutch (I have no idea what kind of TLC a hydraulic clutch would need on the dragstrip) but I raced a 600 sportbike last year and only needed cable adjustments a couple times the whole year & the clutch is still good.

As far as bike prep goes for the drag strip, most tracks require a tether connected to the kill switch and somewhere on the rider, such as the wrist. What I have done in the past was screw a small eyebolt into the killswitch and tie a leather bootlace to the eyebolt and then make a slipknot to go around my wrist. Antifreeze/coolant should be removed & replaced with water, but I have only seen that enforced at Prostar events. At test & tunes that is probably never checked because so many people ride or drive their street vehicles directly to the track & run them, so you know they have antifreeze/collant in the radiators. Tri-State is very lenient about everything, even the tether. One last thing to do is have some electrical tape with you, or a piece of cardboard or plastic number plate so that you can put a number on your bike (usually the number on the tech card) so the people in the tower can see it so that your bike number prints out on the timeslip.

Prostar events are very fun, because it's 100% BIKES! So come out & watch one day at the Indy event.

Last edited by pguest; 07-30-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2006   #4
pguest

bump....

Should be nice weather for a ride to Indy this weekend.
Old 08-14-2006   #5
joeybeppy
slojo

PG,
Wife and I made it there Sunday. Had a great time. Pretty neat stuff. Tried to find you and your team, with no luck. I think I might try this drag thing? Being a "bike-nut", I enjoyed the all-bike event more than the mix of cars/bikes. And the Top Fuel guys, OMG!! My wife talked about them all night.
Thanks for the heads-up on this event!
Joe
Old 08-14-2006   #6
pguest

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeppy
PG,
Wife and I made it there Sunday. Had a great time. Pretty neat stuff. Tried to find you and your team, with no luck. I think I might try this drag thing? Being a "bike-nut", I enjoyed the all-bike event more than the mix of cars/bikes. And the Top Fuel guys, OMG!! My wife talked about them all night.
Thanks for the heads-up on this event!
Joe
Glad you made it. It might have been a little difficult to find me, as we parked the trailer so that it was a bit difficult to see the "Blonde Ambition Racing" decals & the van was in front of the trailer. We were pitted near the south gate. The Top Fuel bikes are insane! It's too bad that they are so expensive to run. Prostar probably only averages 6-8 TF bikes per event. There may be more TF bikes that race in the AHDRA (All-Harley Drag Racing Association).

I ran Pro ET early Sunday morning probably before 9:30 and Super Gas later in the morning. I don't have my timeslips with me right now to check the times when I ran. I was bike #2468, purple & yellow, but you probably don't remember if you saw my bike run or not. Results are at www.dragbike.com.

Were you there early enough to see the Street ET guy loop his bike at the start of his pass? I heard announcements over the PA system about that & the down time to attend to him & do clean up was probably an hour!

I think my next race will be Sept. 2 at Kil-Kare & then later in September at Edgewater. I will post something definite later. Come to watch if you like, or I will probably get to a couple test & tune days at Tri-State later in the fall. Come out & give it a try!

Last edited by pguest; 08-14-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2006   #7
joeybeppy
slojo

Yes we seen the ET guy flip it. We just pulled in and parked right there at the starting line, got off the bike, looked up, and pow! From our angle, it looked like the bike came over on top of him.

Yes we did see your yellow/purple bike run. Your name was clearly heard and acknowledged over the PA.

I'd love to get more drag info from ya, so when you run next, give me a shout, and I'll try to make it. I live fairly close to Edgewater, but any of the other tracks you mentioned would be fine too. I'm a work-o-haulic, so getting time out is the hardest challenge.

Hope to talk to you soon,
Joe
Old 08-14-2006   #8
pguest

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeppy

Yes we did see your yellow/purple bike run. Your name was clearly heard and acknowledged over the PA.
Cool. It's impossible to hear the announcer when you're down near the starting line with a helmet on & bikes running. It sounded like they did a good job of announcing riders' names last weekend.
Old 10-02-2010   #9
leencoo12

Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.

Happy to see your blog as it is just what Iíve looking for and excited to read all the posts. I am looking forward to another great article from you. After skimming through your website
Old 10-02-2010   #10
pguest

***Spam alert!!!***

What blog & website? The website hasn't been up since earlier this year & there is no blog. Dufus....